Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Price Of Oil?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I saw something on the news tonight but I missed some of it. But IIC most states plan on banning the sale of petrol (not just petrol vehicles) by 2035 and some states are like 2030 or earlier. Seems odd, but IIC they expect that anyone who drives will be driving an EV by then?

I don’t think that there is any expectation that ‘everyone’ will be driving EVs by 2035 (or 2030), but rather it‘ll be the phase when the new-car fleet will be EVs. The average car age is something like 10 years old so it’ll take about 10 plus years after that for the ICE vehicles to diminish. It’ll be a bit like the phasing out of lead-petrol powered vehicles - it didn’t happen overnight, but it did happen.

In the end, it’s nothing to do with Australia at all now as we no longer manufacture cars here. So we are only going to be able to import whatever the rest of the world is manufacturing. If the rest of the world is only manufacturing EVs we’ll be getting EVs.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don’t think that there is any expectation that ‘everyone’ will be driving EVs by 2035 (or 2030), but rather it‘ll be the phase when the new-car fleet will be EVs. The average car age is something like 10 years old so it’ll take about 10 plus years after that for the ICE vehicles to diminish. It’ll be a bit like the phasing out of lead-petrol powered vehicles - it didn’t happen overnight, but it did happen.

In the end, it’s nothing to do with Australia at all now as we no longer manufacture cars here. So we are only going to be able to import whatever the rest of the world is manufacturing. If the rest of the world is only manufacturing EVs we’ll be getting EVs.
Yeah I must have misunderstood and it's simply the banning of new ICE vehicles and not petrol itself, which we already knew.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Some chap like Musk will come out with a floating vehicle, and the Pot Hole drama will be a thing of the past. However, the Gov will find a way to find an excuse to tax it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
. However, the Gov will find a way to find an excuse to tax it.

It is a little unfair that a driver of a petrol/diesel/LPG powered vehicle get taxed for using that type of fuel and an EV driver not get taxed for just using electricity....

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
It is a little unfair that a driver of a petrol/diesel/LPG powered vehicle get taxed for using that type of fuel and an EV driver not get taxed for just using electricity....
When govt revenue drops from declining fossil fuel sales you will see the introduction of tax charged per km travelled.
Your new EV will communicate with your smart phone and once a month your smart phone will automatically pay the ATO.
Higher rego costs will most likely be a reality too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
At least that system will fair based on km traveled.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Petrol, went up 10cpl yesterday.