Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Price Of Oil?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Is that a bad thing ? Getting unroadworthy ****-boxes off the road ?

Unroadworthy shiteboxes statistically don’t even factor into the road toll. The cost of annual inspections would be in impost with minimal benefit.

Wash your mouth (or computer) out.
That would be the most unfairest solution, therefore most attractive to revenue raiser.
3 cars driven 5Km per year @ $1000 rego each, versus 1 car driven 15Km per year @ $1000.
Yep, the rich with 3 cars can afford 3 regos ............... thinks Govt ........... just like everybody can afford a $60K EV by 2025.
It’s the system we have right now and thus the easiest to administer. Charging an extra amount per year on rego to cover road maintenance (not necessarily $1000) and removing the fuel excise would be fairer on most people who own cars.

Like I said before ICE car owners are taxed disproportionately compared to everyone else and most of that money goes to consolidated revenue to be spent elsewhere.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I see no reason except a few extra dollars to build the km travelled into the GPS system of the car, which could then report to a database automatically through the mob phone network .
We will get Optus to design it. I’m sure they will make it impervious to hackers!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We will get Optus to design it. I’m sure they will make it impervious to hackers!
Everything online can be hacked. It just comes down to the hacker.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I see no reason except a few extra dollars to build the km travelled into the GPS system of the car, which could then report to a database automatically through the mob phone network .
Not everybody has a built in GPS, or uses their phone as a GPS ................ Yeah, I'm living in the '70s.

Unroadworthy shiteboxes statistically don’t even factor into the road toll. The cost of annual inspections would be in impost with minimal benefit.
That may well be the case.
When an accident happens, "Speed was a factor" is the usual TV Police spokesperson's comment. Pretty obvious that any speed above walking can end up in injury. You never hear about accidents which are caused by mechanical failure.

There are a lot of people whose cars are for getting from A to B. My irresponsible son is one of them.
If it wasn't for the NSW annual roadworthy, he would be driving on tyres with 10PSI, and no oil in the engine. He gets his car serviced when the rego is due, and never looks at anything for a year. If they pick up a fault, he says fix it, and I have spent 20 years paying for this attitude.
Why? Because I live with his mother, and it is cheaper to pay for his **** ups, than it is to not live with his mother. :mad:

Like I said before ICE car owners are taxed disproportionately compared to everyone else and most of that money goes to consolidated revenue to be spent elsewhere.
Fully agree.
But increasing the rego costs will only go to consolidated revenue .......... again. An impost with minimal benefit.

I just can't understand why EV owners think they should get a free kick ............... apart from the current thinking that nobody, except the Govt, should have pay for anything.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not everybody has a built in GPS, or uses their phone as a GPS ................ Yeah, I'm living in the '70s.
No, but I suspect all EV's do which it is why we I think we could keep the current system and still tax those who own EV's.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Wear and tear on the road has nothing to do with how much fuel you burn and everything to do with weight, numbers of tyres on the road and distance traveled.

Considering a EV is actually heavier than the equivalent ICE vehicle they are actually creating more wear and tear on the roads....

I do believe here in NZ all taxes taken from RUC and petrol excise taxes go into a road transport fund from which new infrastructure and repairs etc get funded from. With the current 25 cent reduction in excise tax there is apparently a few hundred million hole in funding.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I saw something on the news tonight but I missed some of it. But IIC most states plan on banning the sale of petrol (not just petrol vehicles) by 2035 and some states are like 2030 or earlier. Seems odd, but IIC they expect that anyone who drives will be driving an EV by then?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Will be interesting, considering they are making electric/petrol powered vehicles....

I'll also be interested to find out if the gov't will help people get out of their petrol powered vehicles and into EV's......I'm sure, there are plenty of people out there that don't have the $20K+ to purchase a new EV....

So interesting times ahead if that is the case

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might be wrong. A net search says about no more sales of ICE vehicles but I can't find the ban on the sale of petrol as such. I have to try and rewatch the Southern Cross News on the net. It's possible I was mistaken as we were eating tea. It's also possible the news incorrectly reported it wouldn't be the first time they stuffed up.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Went to Costco his morning, including the jerry can put $80 in the ute, went back with the vh and put $60 in, that should last for quite some time as it's on club rego. The wife and i will go back shortly when the store opens and put another $60 in the ve. Their price for 98 was $1.66. I don't think I have bought that much petrol in one day in my life.
Lol, that petrol in the VH and the jerry can will be off before you use it:)