Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems with my VT! It's sending me INSANE!!!!

SIDEWAYS-GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX GTS
so i bought a VT about 2weeks ago and it had a really bad miss, so i replaced the spark plugs and leads and it got alot better but when i try going around a corner or going around a round about and give it some gas, it shutters and sometimes dies then i let go of the throttle and it comes back to life and its only when i turn if i give it some juice going straight it goes down one gear and boost's off, ive replaced like i said before the plugs and leads, all three coilpacks and DFI module, new air filter, fuel filter, cleaned injectors, and i also before i forget inside the intake manifold was black with about a 50mm thick layer of gunk, i cleaned that out and the throttle body and now when i drive for about 30min the engine light turns on!! PLEASE HELP!!!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
does it do this when it's cold?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
might be worth checking the O2 sensors and also the fuel pressure regulator which is located in the engine bay if it is a V6.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It could also be a faulty fuel pump, or it could even be fuel return line in the fuel tank. The pump pickup sits in a swirl pot inside the fuel tank, this swirl pot is secured to the bottom of the fuel tank, and theres a return fuel line that feeds into this pot so the fuel pickup never starves of fuel if the vehicle is cornering etc when its low on fuel.. Sometimes these in tank return lines can be disconnected or can even be broken. Ive seen his happen before when dodgy mechanics (or dodgy backyarders) replace a fuel pump, as its hard to disconnect/reconnect the return line to the swirl pot

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
It could also be a faulty fuel pump, or it could even be fuel return line in the fuel tank. The pump pickup sits in a swirl pot inside the fuel tank, this swirl pot is secured to the bottom of the fuel tank, and theres a return fuel line that feeds into this pot so the fuel pickup never starves of fuel if the vehicle is cornering etc when its low on fuel.. Sometimes these in tank return lines can be disconnected or can even be broken. Ive seen his happen before when dodgy mechanics (or dodgy backyarders) replace a fuel pump, as its hard to disconnect/reconnect the return line to the swirl pot

As long as the cornering problem happens when you're low on fuel, then I think Brett is on the money with the return line. My dads old VX did the same thing, was especially dangerous going around big roundabouts that aren't level lol. If it is this though, it's an absolute pain in the ass to get that return line back, so I sincerely wish you good luck and I hope you're a patient man if you plan to get to back yourself.

In regards to the engine light. Don't play guessing games, just get the code read with a diagnostic tool.

SIDEWAYS-GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX GTS

It's does it cold or warm!! It's done before with half a tank but sometime the fuel gauge does up and down!! I'm thinking its the pump!! I took it to my mechanic and it could read the diagnostics! I'm gonna take it to another mechanic coz the guy was very old and didnt really look like he knew what he was doing?!?!!!