Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Project car

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
HG/T/K Brougham's are pretty nice. Used to be a white one that drove down my old street all the time, it was stock and clean and a old man about 70 owned it. Guessing it had a 327 or 350? not sure but the note was so deep (not loud) and the sound alone would make anyone turn to look.

The shapes of these are beautiful, more so than the Kingswood's.
work.72398.10.flat,550x550,075,f.holden-hg-brougham.jpg

I'm not too keen on old cars any more as I've had a HR Special and a LJ Coupe, poured endless hours of work into them and always sold them for not even 1/4 of what I had spent before they were finished.

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
Had a discussion with the uncle today, going to find a place to do it as his hk pannel van is taking up the only place we had to do it, the car i think we will be doing is a late H model kingswood or premier

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Get a well optioned HZ Premier and do a GTS lookalike from it? The prettiest of all the H series Holdens.. 4dr HZ Monaro.
You got the twin headlights already with the Premier, its just a matter of grill, guards, spoiler and badges.

Easy, cheap project.. just make sure you choose the right car as a basis.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
if you have the money a LS7 bored and stroked out to 9L and then Supercharged would be nice in the car.
although that would be a hell of alot of money

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
holy cow a blown 9L LS7? Lets come back to earth here, the OP is still on his P's ! A stock 427 without blower would be more than he can handle or afford to run, let alone stroked to 9L. Is that even possible while still retaining water jackets?

If you want something a little different, stick an ecotec into a HZ.. but I still say a good 308 HZ premmy mocked up as a GTS will be cheap, easy and satisfying.

Jonesy484

Reaction score
Members Ride
holy cow a blown 9L LS7? Lets come back to earth here, the OP is still on his P's ! A stock 427 without blower would be more than he can handle or afford to run, let alone stroked to 9L. Is that even possible while still retaining water jackets?

If you want something a little different, stick an ecotec into a HZ.. but I still say a good 308 HZ premmy mocked up as a GTS will be cheap, easy and satisfying.

Yeah as i said i wanna put a more modern engine in it im still thinking an LS1 supercharged, put some modern brakes/ suspension, and a LSD. I've been looking round for cars and i still can't decide. whether to buy a car thats a shell or should i buy a half done project car for like 3k?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
The prettiest of all the H series Holdens.. 4dr HZ Monaro.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT

wow. thats a HUGE call. your comparing a 4 door HZ with a HT, HG, or best of the bunch - HK? HZ doesnt even rate. ugly, too square and suffers from the whole 'pollution' problem.

1969 HK prem, any small block chev is legal, no egr holding you back if you decide to go holden V8, looks tonnes better than the HZ or X prems
1977 HZ prem, no SBC allowed without mod plate, EGR, carbon can, TVS all pollution conrol equipment to conform with ADR 27, ugly, common.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

He has specified he wants a late H series, and he wants something a bit different.
He wants to modernise.. not going to be hard to put an ecotec in it. Mod plates I know nothing about, but I assume if you are converting a HK to a modern v6 you are also going to need mod plates? Its hardly a factory option is it..
If you fit an engine that didn't belong to your model, you are also going to have to fit pollutions systems specific to the motor aren't you?

Hes a P plater with plans and dreams. Not trying to stop that, just bringing him down a little closer to earth.
A HK will be a nightmare to source parts for, and expensive to buy in the first place if he doesn't want to do a ground up resto on a rustbucket.
There are still plenty of j,x and z's floating around, they aren't expensive, and you can still get parts for them.

Jonesy, the world is littered with unfinished projects. These are caused by aiming too high, too soon. Decide on an achievable goal, meet it, and then move to the next goal.

Jonesy484

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

He has specified he wants a late H series, and he wants something a bit different.
He wants to modernise.. not going to be hard to put an ecotec in it. Mod plates I know nothing about, but I assume if you are converting a HK to a modern v6 you are also going to need mod plates? Its hardly a factory option is it..
If you fit an engine that didn't belong to your model, you are also going to have to fit pollutions systems specific to the motor aren't you?

Hes a P plater with plans and dreams. Not trying to stop that, just bringing him down a little closer to earth.
A HK will be a nightmare to source parts for, and expensive to buy in the first place if he doesn't want to do a ground up resto on a rustbucket.
There are still plenty of j,x and z's floating around, they aren't expensive, and you can still get parts for them.

Jonesy, the world is littered with unfinished projects. These are caused by aiming too high, too soon. Decide on an achievable goal, meet it, and then move to the next goal.

Cheers mate, i do have big hopes and dreams for this car, but it boils down to a couple of things, money, time and what is achievable. I think a more modern V8 engine is achievable, my uncle has transplanted an alloytec into his HJ Pannel Van so he knows what hes doing, and i do like the look of the HX and HZ Premiers, it is a bit northern territory abo driven look but i think it can be made to look good with the right person building it, like i said this will be a long term project, i have over 2 more years till i get off my p's and it will be a bonding experience with my uncle