Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Project car

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
If you fit an engine that didn't belong to your model, you are also going to have to fit pollutions systems specific to the motor aren't you? .

yes very true, good point. i stand corrected :(

Jonesy, the world is littered with unfinished projects. These are caused by aiming too high, too soon. Decide on an achievable goal, meet it, and then move to the next goal.

very good advice

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
also, could i suggest a 5.0 rather than a V6. V6 are gutless as hell to begin with (i know, people get power blah blah blah) and dropping in a 5.0 would be dead easy. turbo pattern already so may get away with stock mounts and stock tail shaft, engine mounts same as 308. just bolt in, wire up, somehow run lines for the tank and away you go.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
v8 would be easier than v6 i agree. Not as unique though, in a H series. Don't know how long you have to be on P's or what the restrictions are.. The v8 should be a reasonably easy job, shouldn't take as long, but if you aren't allowed a v8 on p's and you finish the job in a year instead of 2, you are going to spend a year as passenger in your own car. That'll test your patience lol

Those laws are strange.. i think in QLD you can drive a 199kw normally aspirated 6, but you cant drive a 165kw v8. You can drive a 199kw hot hatch too (factory only i think, no mods?) but you cant drive a turbo-diesel 4wd. No more than 200kw, no turbos or v8s. Doesn't make sense, they should grade cars/licenses on power/weight ratio, not the other stuff.

I think the car that you linked to is already overpriced at $2500 and needs $3000 worth of rust repairs. it doesn't even mention options like power windows and suchlike, you can assume it doesn't have any. Its also only a six with a traumatic.

If you are going to fit a modern v8, find a v8 with all the options and no rust for the same money and save yourself a lot of heartache. If you get lucky you may find one with with a T400 instead of a traumatic, that should make it easier to fit the later model engines.

Keep in mind.. panels and paint can be fixed easier than rust. Don't look for the one that looks in great nick but has cancer throughout, get a sound cabin and go from there. Chances are you will be repainting your project anyway, so lack of rust is much more important than it being straight with good paint.

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
yeah the blown LS7 is over the top. but as Ari said a 5L would be nice. or if possible the LS1 would also be nice

have you thought about a WB ute? they can look very nice when done up correctly, and i doubt it would cost too much to get one.

i cannot see what would be wrong buying someone elses half done project atleast it should have a good starting base.
take it one step at a time. write a list of what you want to do to the car and catergorise is.
1. must do and needs to be done.
2. want to do very soon.
3. future goals (long term that wont be gained for a while)

and as for driving a V8 on the p's it is rediculous. power to weight would be a much better idea, although i doubt they will go back.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Buying someones half done project can be a very good option, if you choose the right project.

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
yeah i won't be driving it on my p's and if i do drive it i won't have my p's on. i would love to put an LS1 in it. thats my plan LS1 with a modern transmission

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
have you thought of a car such as a torana or a WB?
or is it more or less a premier as the choice?

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
have you thought of a car such as a torana or a WB?
or is it more or less a premier as the choice?

id probably do a WB, Torana not so much prefer a bigger car