Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
TAhjd5u.jpg

Rockers are in, engine feels much more responsive.

The valve train is a lot quieter (which was my main goal behind buying them, the stock rockers were pretty worn).

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Looks good, Have fun with the rear drivers side rocker cover bolt - I hate that little sucker!!!!

How much work to change them?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So rockers made quite a noticeable difference? Got 2 sets here but haven’t managed to get around to fitting them haha.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Looks good, Have fun with the rear drivers side rocker cover bolt - I hate that little sucker!!!!

How much work to change them?

About 1.5 hours, I made a tool a few years ago to get to the rear bolt so it's not too bad.

So rockers made quite a noticeable difference? Got 2 sets here but haven’t managed to get around to fitting them haha.

Throttle response is much better, seems to pull much harder through the mid range.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
zUqy7WK.jpg

Forgot I had a new JP oil pump sitting in the cupboard from my last engine. Decided to throw it on as the old one has done 200,000ish km, glad I did, there was a fair bit of wear on the stocker, anything you can do to help the woeful oiling system of the Holden V8 is worth doing imo

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Nice, any idea on average the mileage you'd be best looking at changing it , mine's got approaching 190,000 and as a daily reading this thinking maybe change this year if that's getting into that area/time / mileage zone. Better than stuffing engine.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I probably wouldn't go longer than 250,000. The Holden pump designs weren't great, they are one of the only pumps out there that I have seen that actually wear, considering these engines have oil pressure issues when new it's a little extra insurance I guess.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Nice, any idea on average the mileage you'd be best looking at changing it , mine's got approaching 190,000 and as a daily reading this thinking maybe change this year if that's getting into that area/time / mileage zone. Better than stuffing engine.

I probably wouldn't go longer than 250,000. The Holden pump designs weren't great, they are one of the only pumps out there that I have seen that actually wear, considering these engines have oil pressure issues when new it's a little extra insurance I guess.

Mine was replaced at 221,xxx. First indication was a flickering oil light at idle.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Thanks, recon I'll plan to do it at 200,000 , as part of service , unless I'm unlucky enough to get signs before that .