Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pros and cons of balance shaft delete

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It makes a tick similar to a worn out lifter or five. It will be worst on start up but won't go away completely when hot. Not really an issue but I hate noises, so I made it redundant.

Maybe you need a Tesla.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
After existing as a platform for near on 40 years it's become abundantly clear they are optional. One less moving part is always a good thing. I don't know who at GM thought they were working with a M156, the Buick is a pushrod operated tractor. Like immortality said if she's sitting on good mounts and running fine, you won't notice anything

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
And maybe you need to stop spreading BS.

What BS?
I said that a harmonic damper does not remedy second order harmonics which is a true fact.

I never said that a harmonic damper upgrade wouldn't improve the harmonics of the engine which is basically the crank whipping back and forth.

Weather the balance shaft does much in the buick V6 is I guess anecdotal without some vibration sensors mounted to an engine to test.

But my comments are correct that a harmonic damper cannot remove second order harmonics, if it could don't you think Mitsubishi and VAG would just build a heavier harmonic damper instead of wasting all the time and money designing balance shaft systems?

Just because you removed a balance shaft and it had a perceived enhancement to the seat of your pants doesn't undo physics.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Whipping, bending, flexing, twisting? Which one or maybe all of them?

Question, does the alloytec have a balance shaft? If not, why not? It's a V6 same as the Buick/ecotec.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The discussion is about Buick balance shafts, to which the BS on a Buick does stuff all.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Whipping, bending, flexing, twisting? Which one or maybe all of them?

Question, does the alloytec have a balance shaft? If not, why not? It's a V6 same as the Buick/ecotec.

I purposely didn't say weather a V6 needs one or not to avoid arguing about if they need one or not.
I don't care about if the engine needs one or not.
I was just pointing out that making an engine run smoother by upgrading the harmonic damper is different from what balance shafts are designed to do.
It's two different vibrations or harmonics they're trying to cancel.

But alas now some have turned that into an argument lol.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Isn't it crank bearings if you hold the rpm right where that bad harmonics are?

I was listening to a thing on some of the harmonics in F1, they rev past them so quick it doesn't matter and they design the harmonics to be in an rpm that the car doesn't see on track.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm sorry, I think you are the one who started this discourse.

But lets talk about why the V6 engine has a balance shaft (seeing as that is what this thread is about)

Six-cylinder engines​

In a straight-six engine and flat-six engine, the rocking forces are naturally balanced out, therefore balance shafts are not required.

V6 engines are inherently unbalanced, regardless of the V-angle. Any inline engine with an odd number of cylinders has a primary imbalance, which causes an end-to-end rocking motion. As each cylinder bank in a V6 has three cylinders, each cylinder bank experiences this motion.[8] Balance shaft(s) are used on various V6 engines to reduce this rocking motion.