Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pros and cons of balance shaft delete

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Isn't it crank bearings if you hold the rpm right where that bad harmonics are?

I was listening to a thing on some of the harmonics in F1, they rev past them so quick it doesn't matter and they design the harmonics to be in an rpm that the car doesn't see on track.

That applies to most engines. They design engines so the harmonics are outside the normal operating range of the engine.

ATI fluid dampers is where it is at but that is a whole different thread.

Last time I had a look (recently in 2023), I think the only balancers available where OEM spec powerbond and a couple under drive SC balancers.
Would be nice if Ross or ATI still made a good V6 balancer.

Yes, basically they only make the competition balancer for the L67 engine, it was the same for the Buick, the full SF18.1 spec balancer was a supercharger balancer. Damn it worked though. I've had them on a few engines now but seeing as I'm playing with L67's it's not a problem. They can be used on the ecotec too but ideally you need to get it balanced with the rotating assembly.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Hahahaha .. sure I'll just pop my rotating assembly out and take it in with my flywheel....

So what your telling me is that to upgrade my balancer correctly... I need to win the lotto?

(I already know this part, just saying because it's funny and depressing)

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Unfortunately yes. The joys of externally balanced engines.

Back in the day they used to do different balancers to suit individual engines but I guess it got a bit expensive to stock all the various balancers.