Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pub's Darkside Project EF Fairmont

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Seriously admire your talent! Can't wait to see some big progress on this.

Cheers
Mat

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Been doing a bit of readng on how im going to set it up.

EF falcons were a bit of a test mule for ford as they were the first 6 with coil packs. EA-ED ran dissy EF coil packs and EL they went back to dissy AU they returned to coil packs.

Kris had this ecu in his au motor running a dissy making 500hp.

Now the issue with mine is that i need the factory ecu to control the auto trans but the factory ecu also fires the coil packs aswell (really pretty decent ecu they are).

Problem for me is the wolf cannot drive coil packs i need an 3 channel ignition driver ($250) and i'll also need a reculator box ($150) to convert CAS signal (factory ECU does that too).

The factory setup has a cam sensor in the distributor hole that obviously tells ecu what part of cycle cylinder is on.

So to save forking out money as what i got with wolf you can sort of see in picture is a cpu fan and heatsink and on the other side is a M&W ignitor for dissy setup kris said hell also give me his MSD coil. So all i'll need is a dissy no probs.

So how im going to run dissy without ####ing up the factory ecu and in return the auto is the big question.

Option 1: piss off the CMP sensor (cam sensor) throw in a dissy and tell factory ECU to deal with it

Option 2: convert to EL wiring loom and ECU. Not keen on this as i dont know whether it'll #### with bcm or smart (aka dumb) lock.

Now really the only issue here whether it ####s with the auto. I have already bought and paid for kris old built BTR and Stall.

Xrsizm

Reaction score
Members Ride
XH ute ;)
I love how your calling it the Facery on here and no one on here knows what that is! Lol

Build my manifold! I need it before heathcote mofo!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
seperate BCM and ECU?
cant just piss off the stock ECU and replace with a delco? the boys at delcohacking.net are achieving pretty impressive things with just a simple delco ecu.
the smart-lock runs off the BCM and there is a reed switch in the key? if seperate BCM and ECU, then surely there would be just one or a few signal wires from the BCM to tell the ECU its ok to start. is the reed switch in the ignition just a simple on/off, or does it actually send the magnetic signal frequency to the BCM? i.e. can you bridge the 2 wires at the BCM and itll start? you laugh, but there are a couple of cars that are that easy to bypass.

im kinda losing myself here: stock setup is 1 coil per 2 cylinders? hence why you need 3. what kinda of inputs/outputs makes the WOLF drive the coil packs?

blah im wasting my time: can you post a link to the circuit diagram for the wolf?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
You could mybe run a j3 chip piggy backed off your ecu?

J3 chip is about $150 plus tune on top and is fair limited to about 8 or 10psi yes they're pretty good but also very limited. Wolf is a much better option even this old model has been proven time again at making good power. Piggy backing the wolf is just as easy as j3 and it'll also be cheaper as i already have a very good tune for a very similar setup. with some minor dyno time i can get it suited welll to my setup.

Plus i already bought the wolf

Also more info below

seperate BCM and ECU?
cant just piss off the stock ECU and replace with a delco? the boys at delcohacking.net are achieving pretty impressive things with just a simple delco ecu.
the smart-lock runs off the BCM and there is a reed switch in the key? if seperate BCM and ECU, then surely there would be just one or a few signal wires from the BCM to tell the ECU its ok to start. is the reed switch in the ignition just a simple on/off, or does it actually send the magnetic signal frequency to the BCM? i.e. can you bridge the 2 wires at the BCM and itll start? you laugh, but there are a couple of cars that are that easy to bypass.

im kinda losing myself here: stock setup is 1 coil per 2 cylinders? hence why you need 3. what kinda of inputs/outputs makes the WOLF drive the coil packs?

blah im wasting my time: can you post a link to the circuit diagram for the wolf?

Basically bcm isnt a problem. Yes it is a seperate module, all i need is at most a matching one to ecu which is easily got from wreckers. Smartlock can be bypassed quite easy u can buy smartlock bypass setups or make your own you can also get speed limiter remover kits too not that i'll need one. Delco ecu although good isnt a viable alternative you'd be much better as v6vpute said running a j3 chip there is a guy out there making close to 400rwkw on a j3 chip. The ford ecu is in some almost as good as a delco there just not the massive support of end users out there trying to make the most of them.

The coil setup is similar to v6 it runs a wasted spark system 3 coils each firing 2 opposing cylinders 1 on power stroke opposite on exhaust. The wolf has no ability to drive coils directly thus you need a 3 channel ignition module (much like the DFI on V6's) to fire the actual coils. the wolf has 4 ignition outputs but are only 5v therefore you need a module to boost it up. also has 4 injector outputs so you can run sequential on a 4cyl engine. The V5 wolf has 8 (or more) of each so you can sequential on a v8. Not that it matters real sequential only good to a certain rpm before it becomes redundant.

Anyway from what i found on internet last night and a couple things i've been told is that removing or a fail CMP/cam sensor will only result in a rough idle, maybe a missfire and poor fuel economy, which in the end is nothing as ecu wont be doing any of these.

So it's all good news i can go option 1 remove the CMP leave everything else as is. Piggyback ECU into sensor input and injector outputs and run a small seperate loom to ignition module coil and dissy. So its really going to be really simple to hook up the wolf. My plan for this is to unpick the ED ECU wiring thats still attached to wolf (grey plug in photo) go to the wreckers and cut an ecu plug off an EF with 150mm or so of wire attached and then destroy my old ecu (swapped it out for a tickford one a while ago) and use plug end off that to make an adapter loom which will go inbetween ecu and main loom making wolf easy remove if needed.

In theory thats how itll go

Installation manual and wiring diagrams can be found here Ari

http://wolfems.com/files/Installation Manual 457 1004.pdf

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
So i kept saying i was going to make some templates for my manifold. So i thought i'd make use of our fancy printers at work. Whats better than a cardboard template? How about some stickers?
IMG_2625.jpg

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Bought myself a Oil cooler bypass today. This one also has 2 NPT ports for your gauges oil pressure and oil temp. I got mine with Dash 10 fittings to match my cooler but they also do 8. They're also machined to take a standard oil filter o ring unlike others i looked at.

I'm not one to plug business' But Jackmaster are great to deal with got this next day when ordered understood everything i wanted and its quality product. I've looked at the **** chinese ones on ebay and the quality is very poor and not only that i couldnt get on that suited what i wanted.

So if your after anything oil related check them out Aussie business too.
Oil Filters That Reduce Engine Wear and Save You Dollars

IMG_2627.jpg

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Starting to think this patch loom idea wasn't so good....

Went to wreckers and chopped off an ECU plug and some loom.... today i pulled apart my old ecu and thought how the #### am i going to desolder this? Anyway quick google i found that megasquirt do adaptor board for EEC-IV ecu's and a few minutes later i found my solution throw it in the oven for 10 mins @ 200 degrees.

Worked really good:) melted the plastic a bit but basically every thing soldered to the board fell off. Missus wasnt too happy with me though:(

Now I'm at the next hurdle soldering 100 odd wires onto the plug with pins that a real close together going to need some heat shrink for this job.

IMG_2628.jpg

Now i found another issue EF seem to have a seperate trigger wire for each injector like a sequential injection setup. Compared to the ED that had 2 triggers for 6 injectors.
My idea is i might have to run a new loom to the injector and run a 3 bank setup ( much better than 2 bank) and disconnect the factory ecu wiring

Or possibly tap into loom and tie 2 injector wires to a single trigger from wolf but im unsure what this will do to factory ecu..... most likely nothing