Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pulley Bearings

Nevi187

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII CALAIS
hey guys, i have the same problem with my supercharger pulley, i only need the bearings though........just cant seem to find anyone who sells just the bearing

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
If youve got the metal type pulleys, then its definitely worth just changing the bearings instead of replacing the complete pulleys. $15 for 3 new bearings versus $100 or more for 3 new complete pulleys. I know which Id prefer.. And changing the bearings was easy and didnt take long.
Yeah, cheaper and a better chance of getting a good bearing! The Ripco ones, and the Cheap - as - Soup ones are now rubbish. They are even noisy spinning them by hand!
I have just bought another new water pump. This time a genuine Holden one. Why? Becasue the GATES one I put in last year lasted 11 months.
(Squealing bearing, water coming out of the drain hole).

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yeah, cheaper and a better chance of getting a good bearing! The Ripco ones, and the Cheap - as - Soup ones are now rubbish. They are even noisy spinning them by hand!
I have just bought another new water pump. This time a genuine Holden one. Why? Becasue the GATES one I put in last year lasted 11 months.
(Squealing bearing, water coming out of the drain hole).
Hi
If you are going through pumps & water pumps, maybe the pulleys are the wrong size. The belt will be to tight & puts to much stress on the bearings.
End result, stuffed pulley bearings & water pump.

Though cheap parts doesn't help either.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As Lex knows I was going through pumps every six months. Turned out the tensioner was placing too much pressure on the bearing. New tensioner and problem was fixed.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Hi
If you are going through pumps & water pumps, maybe the pulleys are the wrong size. The belt will be to tight & puts to much stress on the bearings.
End result, stuffed pulley bearings & water pump.

Though cheap parts doesn't help either.
Thanks for the reply and tips. All pulleys and WP pulley are standard size. Had the car since 2002 (17,000 k's).

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
hey guys, i have the same problem with my supercharger pulley, i only need the bearings though........just cant seem to find anyone who sells just the bearing

When you say Supercharger Pulley,
Which one ?
do you mean the snout bearing ?, if you do, they are a common bearing for electric motor's,
keeping in mind, there is a special way of pulling the snout down without damaging the housing.
You may need to replace the front snout seal also.
I have found a few places that sell the bearings required for the snout.

I replaced all the Bearings in the 6 Pulleys on my Super6, including the front and rear snout bearings,
While I was in the process of doing them all, I also replaced the both Bearings in the Alternator.
With the plastic pulley, I threw that the s__ house, and got a metal one from the wreckers some time ago, and replaced the bearing in that.
I then made a list of all the Bearings required, to make it easier for future replacement.
The rest is history,
And forgot to mention, nice and quiet now ;)

Last edited:

Foxyloxyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Sedan
If youve got the metal type pulleys, then its definitely worth just changing the bearings instead of replacing the complete pulleys. $15 for 3 new bearings versus $100 or more for 3 new complete pulleys. I know which Id prefer.. And changing the bearings was easy and didnt take long.
hey there good comment - can you tell me what the bearing number is for the TENSIONER pulley - for example 6202 or 6204 etc I would really appreciate it as I want to buy the new bearing before I remove the pulley from the car and take out the bearing .. thanks in advance... Foxyloxyboy