Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Purchased new Calais V V8 Wagon. How km on delivery?

waynebatt

Only milk should be 2L
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
The dealer i just bought our SV6 Storm wagon off told me that a "new" car can legally have anything up to 100km on it before it officially becomes a demo.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
The dealer i just bought our SV6 Storm wagon off told me that a "new" car can legally have anything up to 100km on it before it officially becomes a demo.

In simple terms a demonstrator has been registered to a dealer whereas a new car has not been previously registered. As far as I'm aware there is no legal definition in terms of km travelled. Most of the legalities relate to the amount of rego the dealer has to pay. Stand to be corrected but I think there is nothing to stop a dealer using dealer plates and using a new car for test drives.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi,

Just after some info. I have just purchased a new Calais V V8 wagon and was wondering how km should I expect on the odometer when I pick it up. The car has been ordered from the factory. I am expecting less than 5 km on the odometer when I pick it up next month. People have told me that it may be up to 30 km depending on where the dealership tests the car for pre delivery. I have purchased several holden accessories that will be fitted at the dealership when they receive it from the factory. The only other extra is window tinting which is done around the corner from the dealer less than 1 km away. If anyone has recently bought their new VF ordered from the factory ie. not purchased from car yard stock or transferred from another car yard, I look forward to your responses. Cheers.

Anything up to 100km can be clocked back to zero once (I believe) by the dealership so really you don't know how many km it's done anyway. The new cars I have had usually had around 7km on the clock but a few have had up to 25. Either way, what difference will it make when you are north of 10,000km anyway???

mmrdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 series 3 Monaro & VF V8 Calais V Wagon
Edit, from the OP's point of view, he would have raised the question as he doesn't want the car to be driven by others not sympathetic to new car running in (say giving it a flogging to test it out, especially when the engine is cold).

Spot on! I don't like the idea of buying a ''brand new'' car that already has the equivalent of driving from Penrith to Sydney and back (and possibly thrashed - who knows who drives it). The less the km's the less likely of being thrashed. If I wasn't worried too much about km's I would have bought a demo (with a few km's) or ex GMH exec driven car and saved a few $$$$. Remember, when buying brand new you pay a premium price for that privilege.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Not sure whether the ability of dealers to reset the odometer if under 100 km is a fact or a myth. If it is true would think it is still a breach of the Consumer Guarantees Act ie misrepresenting the product. What has been done in the mileage it has on it is probably more important than the km themselves. If the vehicle had been involved in an accident in those few km and repaired would they tell you? Probably more worthwhile to add a few clauses to the contract to protect you eg vehicle has not been involved in an accident etc. rather than to worry about a few extra kms.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The current Rangers dont have an ODO until the PD has been done, so the dealer can drive them around as much as they like without putting any ks on it. Cant remember but the i think the Amaroks are the same.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I bought a new Navara years ago and on final pick up day the odometer had been reset to zero. It had probably 20 or so km on it from myself and the dealer test driving it beforehand.

At the time I never really gave it any thought, just that it was interesting they reset it.