Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Push button ignition

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Sounds like there is lots of connections that could go wrong and leave you stranded. So how did you bypass the immobaloser?

VSinProgress

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
There's really only 1 more connection than there was before which is the kill switch.
By telling you guys how I did it is in no way gonna help ppl steel our commies, ya need the key to do it.
After transferring all connections from the back of the barrel to the fuse panel on the right, I got the key reader wire, extended it, and soldered it to the little silver nob connector inside the key, then took the black wire (looks like earth, but it's not) from the barrel and soldered that to the other connector inside the key (the one that the keyshaft screws through) this black wire needs to be re-earthed, I also used that as earth for my switch LED's.
After soldering to the key internals, I put the case back on and taped the hell out of it, I tucked it way up inside my dash.
The thin Purple key reader wire is a good choice for a hidden kill switch, so if the hidden switch/button isn't held while you try to start the car, the ECU wont recognise that the right key is being used and it wont start.

If you have wired it up right, when you have your acc switches on, and hold the hidden kill switch, the security light should stop blinking, and your all set to start her up.
For the kill switch, use a momentary button/switch, that way you don't forget to turn it off after ya drive, also the ECU only needs to read the key just before you start it, it doesn't need to be connected all the time.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Sound like a lot of mucking around to start the car.
Put the key in and turn it.
Hold the kill switch in.
Press the starter switch.
Sound like you are starting an aeroplane. But hey, if it works and you like it, cool. Who am I to argue. :)

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Sound like a lot of mucking around to start the car.
Put the key in and turn it.
Hold the kill switch in.
Press the starter switch.
Sound like you are starting an aeroplane. But hey, if it works and you like it, cool. Who am I to argue. :)
I think by the sounds of it... the key is permanently strapped in? Tucked up into the dash. Hence theres only the need to hold the hill switch (engages key read) then press a button.
Only thing would be how accessible is the kill switch? Dont want it to be seen or known.. but dont want to awkwardly ram your hand under steering column everyday!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I think by the sounds of it... the key is permanently strapped in? Tucked up into the dash. Hence theres only the need to hold the hill switch (engages key read) then press a button.
Only thing would be how accessible is the kill switch? Dont want it to be seen or known.. but dont want to awkwardly ram your hand under steering column everyday!

I think he put only the fob (key reader) under the dash, as he says "If you have wired it up right, when you have your acc switches on, and hold the hidden kill switch...."
(I think he means Switched)

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I think he put only the fob (key reader) under the dash, as he says "If you have wired it up right, when you have your acc switches on, and hold the hidden kill switch...."
(I think he means Switched)
ahhhhhhhhhh, yeah I see what you mean now... man... that is a bit of a much around isnt it.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
That's actually how we wire remote starts into commodores. And we only activate during cranking. At all other times it's disconnected. We don't disable the key reader... just splice into it with the key head soldered in and tucked up high into the dashboard.

VSinProgress

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
ah cool, I wanted it switched because if anyone can get into the car, they can start it no worries.

Car1234567890

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ss
I know this is an old thread, but I looked at it to try to work out what is involved in deleating the ignition and going to a starter panel, its very easy today without involving wiring your key fob up, just buy a memcal with VATS removed off ebay, mine came from COMMODORETUNER on ebay for $70 delivered.
Its a VT racecar with a 5ltr, anything before an LS1 this will work, car starts with a key with no immobiliser head or just extend wires on back of ignition to starter panel.
Remove ignition barrel to get rid of steering lock.