Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Q for police or anyone with good knowlage of the lawsd

Secki

Reaction score
Website
www.australianlawenforcement.com.au
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
wrong

My goodness. Unfortunately, your NSW Highway Patrol mate is incorrect.

In NSW the section covering use of Fog Lights is;

ROAD TRANSPORT (SAFETY AND TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT) (ROAD RULES) REGULATION 1999 - SECT 55

55 Lights on motor vehicles generally

as i said i wasnt sure if thats what he was taught, or thats what he uses when judging whether to book ppl, i guess its up to the copper in the end

R

RKZ234

rattattack1313 said:
ok.. .....now RKZ234......isn't that what I said the Mackay coppers said to me?????????? :confused:

G'day rattattack1313. From memory, you originally stated you were advised by Mackay Police to cover your lights when entering a town, which, as I stated at the time was ridiculous, impractical and is not a legal requirement in Qld, which I also researched and confirmed with Traffic Branch.

So on that basis, your issue is totally different from what is currently being discussed here - Use of Fog Lights.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
I think you'll find that his NSW HWP mate is fairly OK in what he's saying. It goes in conjunction with what I said in an earlier post. Most lights fitted fatcory to modern cars, ie the VY & VZ SS, don't come under the very detailed definition, under the regulation, of FOG LIGHT. Therefore there are some issues with handing out tickets for that offence. He would write you up for a breach of ARR219 Use lights to dazzle - Or whatever the relevant title is for that offence under the residing state legislation. The reason for this is that the Officer doesn't have to prove that your 'fog lights' are actually FOG LIGHTS, because most of them aren't!

However, you could still get the above ticket for what you are explaining. You can't drive around with your Driving Lights and Parkers on. But I bet you, in NSW anyway, they won't write you up for a Fog light related ticket.

Just be courteous. If you are using them to be seen, then its time to grow up. If your using them to see a little better, at night, on the twisty dtuff and yoiu flick them off when you see an on comming car, you're pretty safe in my opinion.

R

RKZ234

helly said:
I think you'll find that his NSW HWP mate is fairly OK in what he's saying. It goes in conjunction with what I said in an earlier post. Most lights fitted fatcory to modern cars, ie the VY & VZ SS, don't come under the very detailed definition, under the regulation, of FOG LIGHT. Therefore there are some issues with handing out tickets for that offence. He would write you up for a breach of ARR219 Use lights to dazzle - Or whatever the relevant title is for that offence under the residing state legislation. The reason for this is that the Officer doesn't have to prove that your 'fog lights' are actually FOG LIGHTS, because most of them aren't!

However, you could still get the above ticket for what you are explaining. You can't drive around with your Driving Lights and Parkers on. But I bet you, in NSW anyway, they won't write you up for a Fog light related ticket.

Just be courteous. If you are using them to be seen, then its time to grow up. If your using them to see a little better, at night, on the twisty dtuff and yoiu flick them off when you see an on comming car, you're pretty safe in my opinion.

My legislative information came from a NSW Govt website and I confirmed my interpretation with a NSW Hwy Patrol Sgt at Wagga. The offence for using foglights when you shouldn't is "Illegal Use of Lights" which also applies for incorrectly using High Beam too. The Sgt informed me he issues infringement notices for that exact offence regularly on Friday & Saturday nights in town.

BTW The Commodore SS lights are considered to be a fog light. They are 55w, (maximum permitted for a Fog light) have a frosted/diffusing front lens, are fitted within 400 mm of the outside edge of the vehicle, are fitted with a white or yellow lens and are fitted as a pair.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Ahh, there's the trick...on most modern cars, those annoying blinding little glaring white lights low on the bumper aren't called "spot lights", and because they aren't yellow, they aren't, and are not called, "fog lights", they are correctly called "driving lights" (because they drive other road users nuts... :D ).

The damn things seem to be on all the time, and even in bright daylight are very distracting and blinding...which is interesting, because if the wanker...sorry, owner, of the vehicle in question claims they are "fog lights" and only for use in foggy conditions (and don't we get a lot of that in central Queensland... :D ) , then to be of any use at all in fog they should be aimed very low down at the road, and not be obviosuly equipped with 120 watt Halogen bulbs... :bang: .

I too believe they are a "wank factor" fitting...they are just to draw attention to the car, and if they have some stupid wiring setup like Volvo's park lights where they come on all the time, I would be removing the fuse... :mad:

R

rattattack1313

yerssssss

yers..i agree.."wank factor " is it....lol.. i only ever drive with my lights on during the day ,when it's overclouded, raining, foggy(?..lol...)....or generally dark & dangerous .....my dash is NEVER that dark i have to have my lights on during tha day.....wank factor..lol... funny .... we should make up stickers for them...lol......or get out our "commodore clubs" ( steering locks) and sort it out...lol.... ;)

R

Ratty

Secki said:
why do ppl with nice cars havre to use them on the day anyway? small penis syndrome? i see a nice car i notice it beacuse it is a nice car, not because some clown has his lights on!

Seki, Hmmm I find that a little silly on your behalf, cause when I drive in the WA Country, Sometimes I can drive almost 2,000Kms in a week and yes I therefore use them during the day to been seen on the highways... I think its much safer to have your headlights on on long highways... the WA Govt has even put up signage to tell drivers to turn on your lights... this is more or less why I aksed the question in the first place as I have the parkers and fog lights on so oncoming highway trafic...
So we are not all clowns with small penis's

R

Ratty

rattattack1313 said:
yers..i agree.."wank factor " is it....lol.. i only ever drive with my lights on during the day ,when it's overclouded, raining, foggy(?..lol...)....or generally dark & dangerous .....my dash is NEVER that dark i have to have my lights on during tha day.....wank factor..lol... funny .... we should make up stickers for them...lol......or get out our "commodore clubs" ( steering locks) and sort it out...lol.... ;)

Rattattack... as I have said I use them to be seen on the highways.... some of the roads here in perth can be dam long and as my car is Turbine in colour (Dark Grey) she blends in with the highway road colour just perfectly... thus I have to stand out from the road somehow???? Anyone got a better Idea? i bought the car Ex-Demo so the colour choice was not given to me and cant really re-spray it!

R

rattattack1313

fog lights??

"less why I aksed the question in the first place as I have the parkers and fog lights on so oncoming highway trafic... ".........
fog lights?????? okay.....................................................................................................