Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Q's 1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw project

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
I might have missed something in another update. But i tjought u were swapping engine and selling the donor car off

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
I was, the interior was nice and all but I didnt pay to much attention tot he body parts (mainly the engine) as it was only going to be a short term car.

while it was at home we had some pretty heavy rain and when I moved it into the garage to drop the v8 it was full of water (inside the car and the boot). When I looked at the front windscreen area closely you could see the sanding marks and the chanel had been filled with bog. The thing had more holes than a seive, just like the boot chanel. When I pushed the drain plug the boot floor was just crap. rust and very thin

I decided that I couldnt sell the car to someone else once I fitted the rb30 back in, so now I am parting it out. It really was quite dangerous.

Q

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Well the engine made it on to the stand today after I seperated the gearbox.

Ordered my basic rebuild kit (gaskets/welsh plugs/water pump/coil pack).

Removed the valve bodies and fuel rail / covers and front cover so I can get they blasted and painted. Will probably get the banana manifold off tomorrow as well before I go to him.

pics on the way

ievaq8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 MAN SS UTE
very nice walkingshaw replica...
and amazingly quick updates...
good on u champ

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Ievaq80 - thanks and they will keep coming too.

Deuce - Was going to go with the kelford cam and springs and get some new lifters from aussie (worked out cheaper), but I dont know about memcals and re-tuning etc post the upgrade and I dont want to aftermarket the ECU. I think I will just do the basic rebuild first gaskets, seals,welsh plugs and a head shave. However, once I have the head off if the bores look like **** then I will give it a bore and do it regardless if that makes sence.

where do you get memcals from in NZ at a reasonable price???

Q

Q

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Been slack again ... Just got the turbo 700 back from the shop - he said it looks like new inside so new gaskets and seals and filter and we are ready to reattach (when i get around to sorting the engine).

Have gotten the banana manifold off and the rocker rails & lifter rods out (all labeled so they can go back in the same place).

Started on the head removal only to find some stupid 5/8 hex key was needed for 2 bolts. What a dumb idea that is. Just went and got that so I should be able to get the head off tomorrow (buzy at work).

Have every thing apart from the front cover off as well and lined up on the bench to go to the blasters for a tidy up.

Just got my quote for gasket sets (top and bottom) twin row timing, water pump, dizzy and high power ignition. Got him to add rings, bearings and oil pump just incase.

progress ... slow but steady

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Picture time -

30th July
After dismantling the donor car she got taken to the metal man for recycling.
Walkinshaw_045.jpg

Walkinshaw_046.jpg

31st July
I started stripping down the engine even though the compression was fine. There was heaps of oil build up around the front cover and sump so I decided a quick strip down and tidy up was required. Once I put the engine in I dont want to be pulling it out again.
Walkinshaw_047.jpg

Apart from the intake bolts being a bit rough everything was pretty tidy.
Walkinshaw_048.jpg

Bores look good as do the pistons and there was no sludge in the oil pump or sump. Regarless I sent the heads off for a skim to ensure trueness and installing valve seals
Walkinshaw_049.jpg

Walkinshaw_050.jpg

I like nice clean things that are shiny so all the following items were sent off to Kevin at Vapour Blast NZ. Great guy, great work, highly recommended.
Walkinshaw_051.jpg

Walkinshaw_052.jpg

Walkinshaw_053.jpg

Walkinshaw_054.jpg

1st August 2013
Still need to give the K frame a waterblast before install to get it clean but its ready with all the other parts down the side of the house.
Walkinshaw_055.jpg

As for power steering I now have my new VN powersteer rack.
The top rack is the VL Rack. You can see where the extractors have actualy been rubbing on the top pipe.
The bottom rack is from a VN Commodore. The only difference is the pipes come out the side not the back which will aid in clearance with the exhaust
Walkinshaw_056.jpg

3rd August 2013
Time to purchase some new bits, New valve grind and lower engine set, thermostat, water pump, coil, dizzy, frost plugs, and oil filter should do to start with
Walkinshaw_057.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ievaq80 - thanks and they will keep coming too.

Deuce - Was going to go with the kelford cam and springs and get some new lifters from aussie (worked out cheaper), but I dont know about memcals and re-tuning etc post the upgrade and I dont want to aftermarket the ECU. I think I will just do the basic rebuild first gaskets, seals,welsh plugs and a head shave. However, once I have the head off if the bores look like **** then I will give it a bore and do it regardless if that makes sence.

where do you get memcals from in NZ at a reasonable price???

Q

Q

Ring Robin at Torque performance, he will recommend a good cam from kelford to suit your compression and intake manifold. He also will be able to do a good custom tune for you. A bit more expensive then a generic memcal, but you know it will be right!!