Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Q's 1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw project

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
while I am waiting for the new power steering rack to arrive I decided to spruce up the engine bay ... The factory red wasnt close enough to the Xirillic red on the outside so that means im going gloss black baby. should look sweet once the engine is in.

While I was at it i removed the battery tray (going in the boot) as I plan to install teh cruise control system in its place.

Walkinshaw_072.jpg

Walkinshaw_073.jpg

Walkinshaw_074.jpg

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Now that I am ready to reinstall the brake booster can anyone take a happy snap of the brake pipes on their car. for the life of me i cant figure out the route in the engine bay (must have really bent them out of shape). just need a shot of the drivers inner guard from booster to chassis rail.

more pics to come soon.

Q

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
went to connect the gearbox cross member today and i cant lift the gearbox high enough. Ihavent massaged the drive tunnel enough. spent the whole morning dropping the subframe while supporting the engine, then lifting the engine while dropping the box. just finished massging the tunnel some more. should be plenty of clearance now (used a bigger hammer). just about to start teh revese order to get it all back in.

did it that way as i dont have to take the extractors off and ruin a gasket set. its like ross off friend "Pivot""Pivot" and everythign clears.

Q

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
What a mission.

The engine and gearbox are now supported under there own weight and the car is back on all 4 tyres. yay

Next plan is to start of the wiring loom and decide if i can be bothered uprating the brakes or just coughing out for better pads. Its just a cruiser and Im thinking do i really need to spend close to 1k on the vt/vl adapter, vt valipers, pads and master syl and vs booster.

so watch this space as i get ready to turn it over.

Q

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Go vt brakes.should get out of it for $400 or cheaper if you get second hand parts.

by any chance do you have a picture of the front door panel where it meets up to the front guard mould?
just that I need to see how good the lines are on the door panel to see if I need to do some work to mine...

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
nice mate coming along good.

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Nasty1 - ask and thou shall receive (attached). I have been quoted about $230 for the vt v8 calipers, vt master, vs booster. by the time you add new pads and 298mm rotors you will be well over $500 and still need the vl-vt adapter out of aussie.

uwishn - thanks. I troll your thread regularly :p

Q

Attachments

• Photo0619.jpg
    Photo0619.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 309

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
thats a nice tidy fit you have in that general area thanks