Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

question about keeping traction in utes and getting used to power. 290RKW.

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
I think you just dropped over-dramatization back into second and gave it a massive squirt!

:nopity::nopity::nopity:

for real?

LOL!!!!!!!!!! I nearly coughed up my left kidney.
Gold

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
how would I know? I only know what is in a stock ss. Power figures mean #### all to me.

Common sense. If you dropped down to 2nd from a high speed without rev matching there's a chance you'll cause an accident.

Drive sensibly and you'll have no problems. If you're so concerned about traction then get some street legal semi slicks.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
whats so wrong with dropping into second on 80km freeway to overtake?

In a car with bugger all power/torque you may do that but even in my stock standard SSV Auto 4th gear is enough to overtake easily, third gear would have me screaming past, second gear at 80kph i would be close to the limiter and would have to change gear again not to mention how dangerous it would be.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Pirate, what sort of camera/software are you using to make your videos?
Sorry to hijack.

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Lol! Maybe just a little bit?

Before increasing the killer wasps maybe get better brakes for "safety"

I have just done that already 4 piston brembos front and rear. QFM pads all around.
This thread is already about safety isn't it?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
For all the people saying 'drive with traction control on', what is the VE system like? I know the first thing I do is turn it off in my car, find it very unpredictable if the car does loose traction and would rather control it with my right foot.
Only ever driven a stock powered VE SS so no idea how the system would go with more power.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
For all the people saying 'drive with traction control on', what is the VE system like? I know the first thing I do is turn it off in my car, find it very unpredictable if the car does loose traction and would rather control it with my right foot.
Only ever driven a stock powered VE SS so no idea how the system would go with more power.

Coming from the VZ system its an improvement but i still turn it off as soon as i get in the car. The actual stability control part works well applying brakes to individual wheels to keep the car straight but the traction control still cuts too much power and imo is more dangerous then some decent throttle control.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
The fly-by-wire traction control system in the VE is heaps better than the old throttle relaxer in the VY or the power cutter in the VT.
In most situations it can prevent an inexperienced driver from feeding in too much power and looping the car when turning left for example.
Personally I turn it off as I am old school and prefer to be 'connected' to the car and not have it making choices for me.

This thread reminds me of that TV show on channel 7 - major crash investigation. I remember an episode where a guy loaned his V8 commy to a mate and the mate accidentally dropped back from 6th to 2nd instead of 4th. Looped the car and hit a pole.

The OP sounds like a young bloke, probably fresh off Ps?
Let me assist you, to add someone to your ignore list, click on "settings" at the top right of your screen, select "edit ignore list" from the list on the left. Type Big-Al into the box and click ok. That way you don't have to act like a spoilt little turd in front of all these nice people when you don't like what I have to say :)

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

It's fine on the street but I suspect anybody experienced throwing cars down a strip would find it a hindrance. "Track" mode on the HSV's is brilliant if you want to push things around a circuit without hitting a wall. It will let the car get further out of shape than most people could ever hope to recover on their own without assistance and TBH unless you are wanting to really tear up a set of tires, if it cuts in you are going very slooooooooow.