Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions: 1997 VT Buggy project.

Cornholio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Wagon
My question is this, what is the very least i can run a 3.8l v6 with. By that i mean what electrics, (air con, stereo etc) can i remove feom the vehicle totally and still trick the bcm/computer, into still having the engine, power steering, abs etc, running, with some add ons like light bars, uhf, etc.

I live on a large property and My plan is to strip down my old VT commodore wagon, keeping the chassis, driveline, engine etc, but removing the most part of the body, to then weld a (sandrail buggy type) cage directly to the chassis, making it a two seater with a tray of some sort, Extending the suspension and lifting it, full underneath bash plate and a few other things.

I have access to all the tools and machinery i could possibly need to make this project possible. But i'd like to know some other peoples experiences in modifying the electrics of these particular engines.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
just my thoughts..i am an over thinker

the beast will be too heavy if you dont loose stuff off that list

to keep the dash is a bit silly ..strip it out and make a chequer plate dash

wont that wagon floor will need a lot of strengthening after you cut that much body away ?

the suspension torque would be enormous after lifting the suspension for .......bush bashing/shooting platform/ property work

you wont need immobilizer/ air bags/ horn / central locking /
heater/reverse lights/brake lights /air con /
instrument cluster ..you wont need a speedo (replace with real time cluster of guages).

the mode buttons ..why would you need them

keep abs working .nope ......you re out in the bush .... fit a big bull bar ...you either hit a tree or wildlife
you are extending the suspension up ........factory handbrake cables may need lengthening

# front engine bay wiring loom should do it

keep the engine diagnostics port working for fault codes

wipers and a switch
alternator wiring
lights and relays spottys are DIY

cooling fans run of the ecu ..unless you fit a thermo switch system

DIY .ign/ starting button /kill switch

everything needed wired up to run the EFI system
O2 sensors
The ECU
Maf
electric fuel pump will need its relay

Last edited:

Cornholio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Wagon
Thanks dirty hands, that pretty much confirmed alot of the things that were already out the door, wasn't set on ABS just thought it might be easier leaving it. Dash and all the seats and anything that is dead weight will be stripped out.

Anything electrical from the cabin is already out, planning to fabricate a cage for the whole thing, floor reinforced and braced really well, basically replacing the body eith one i make myself out of race grade tubular steel.. The bullbar was a definite, the inside will hopefully end up just being two buckets, 5points, a switchboard for lights/winch etc, and a steel glovebox for fuses. Pedals and a steering wheel. Speedo might help too.

Anything i absolutely couldn't run the engine without would have been hidden away somewhere.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
U can run a buick with like half a dozen wires

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Ull notice a lot of buggies etc run the buick I have a friend who used to make them always used vn series ll motors

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Better off leaving the roof and body intact, or start from scratch with custom frame... by the time you re-strengthen it with a cage it'll be twice as heavy, there is no chassis to start with, may get away with turning it into a ute and welding the read doors shut.
They flex heaps in tact on the road standard.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
Cornholio

hope to see a picture of it once its built

Last edited: