Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Racing a ute. Pros / Cons

Froggz

Less talk, More Torque.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 S15 Silvia
Hey all. I was wondering if there were any major or minor Pros/cons for circuit racing a ute.
A Vs Commodore to be exact.
Does the lighter back end play a major role.
And what would you recommend to prep it for race.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
What sort of racing were you thinking about doing?

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Don't want to sound like a c$nt but are u serious? U want to know if a Vs ute would be a good race car? Um in a word no or in two words furk no!
For starters small brakes no IRS and weight distribution is all wrong!! V6 or v8?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Depends on what sort of racing? The light rear end will be an issue unless you're drifting, then it wouldn't be as much of an issue....

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Nothing wrong with doing track days in a ute.
The light back end will make the ute a little more tail happy than a sedan, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of sliding here and there, keeps the reflexes sharp.

If you do want to find a class to go door to door racing so to speak, the roll cage can be a little more tricky than a sedan to build and fit.

If you are just looking at general track days, the first thing I would do is fit a set of VE 330mm front rotors and calipers and a set of ventilated VE 315mm rear rotors and calipers, pad the combo up with some REMSA pads from GSL and you will be able to do more that 2 laps without the brakes fading away.

From there I would go out and get some semi slick tyres, even second hand ones will provide more grip that a good road tyre.

Then head out to some track days and start to get used to the track and the car and start to learn the lines of the tracks. Once your times start to even out and you become more consistent start looking at suspension upgrades and some more power upgrades.

Most of all have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh rally car
Make sure you fit a BIG power steering fluid cooler as they don't like to be reved hard.
I have seen a lot of them boil fluid and seize the pump at supersprints etc.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
I agree with this ^ I have seen commodore track cars kill pumps etc, would be a good cheap investment.