Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator Cap

Beestung

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF R8 Clubsport
Hi There,

I nearly cooked the engine of my 2015 VF R8 Clubsport as there was only 2L of coolant left in the radiator. I had just had the car serviced 2 months ago.

I took the car back as the airconditioner wasn't cooling properly and it turns out the hoses were leaking which apparently is common. Had to replace those and while that work was being done they identified there was no coolant left in the radiator so I was very lucky.

They pressure tested the radiator and it was leaking from the radiator cap! This was replaced with the genuine holden cap. So a $30 part could have cost me thousands! My question is how often should you replace the radiator cap?

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Hi There,

I nearly cooked the engine of my 2015 VF R8 Clubsport as there was only 2L of coolant left in the radiator. I had just had the car serviced 2 months ago.

I took the car back as the airconditioner wasn't cooling properly and it turns out the hoses were leaking which apparently is common. Had to replace those and while that work was being done they identified there was no coolant left in the radiator so I was very lucky.

They pressure tested the radiator and it was leaking from the radiator cap! This was replaced with the genuine holden cap. So a $30 part could have cost me thousands! My question is how often should you replace the radiator cap?
Mate, when my r/cap was on the way out, it flattened the radiator hoses as the motor cooled down.
The only parts of the radiator hoses that were round were where they attached to the motor and radiator. Easy to spot after the motor has cooled down. Top and bottom hoses were flat as a pancake. All because the o ring on the r/cap was worn. @Fu Manchu did a very good thread on it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
My question is how often should you replace the radiator cap?
100~150 thousand.

i have had to replace them in between that range a few times over the years, always use a genuine cap too.
for 30 bucks just do it around 100 thou as a part of a major service.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The Two VF's I've had I have replaced the caps around 70-80k Kms so far. The first sign is the flattened radiator hose when engine cools down.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi There,

Maybe check the coolant level more often.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi There,

Every 5 years is what I do
Small insurance

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Every 5 years is what I do
Small insurance
I agree, but I think my car’s cap failed in under 5 years. I recall that I checked the car soon after it had been in for service and noticed that the top hose was partially sucked in. The Holden dealer service missed the faulty cap!

I reckon it’s a good idea to have a spare on hand so it can be replaced as soon as it’s noticed.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I agree, but I think my car’s cap failed in under 5 years. I recall that I checked the car soon after it had been in for service and noticed that the top hose was partially sucked in. The Holden dealer service missed the faulty cap!

I reckon it’s a good idea to have a spare on hand so it can be replaced as soon as it’s noticed.
Stating the obvious - the reason we were meant to go to the dealer is because they "know" the cars better and know what to look for. Kind of why the services are so expensive.
Of course any mechanic could have missed this., but one of the service action points is to inspect the hoses, which "should" have highlighted this issue.
It might sound sensual, but I run my hand along the hoses and squeeze them etc to feel for soft points during my unqualified servicing - hopefully would notice a flattened hose.
There is no Holden dealer in my area of Sydney close enough or polite enough to use, so have to order online.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Can you just take the old cap off and put a new one on? Aren't they pressurised or something or need bleeding?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Stating the obvious - the reason we were meant to go to the dealer is because they "know" the cars better and know what to look for. Kind of why the services are so expensive.
Of course any mechanic could have missed this., but one of the service action points is to inspect the hoses, which "should" have highlighted this issue.
I’d go much further and state any qualified mechanic must provide the service with due care and skill as required under ACL. As such they shouldn’t miss such an obvious defect like a flattened hose or a squashed radiator cap o-ring.

If missing such obvious defects resulted in an engine failure, the mechanic would be liable… but that could be a PITA having to push through tribunals if the mechanic doesn’t recognise their own lacking skill and liability.