Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radio and whole head unit cutting in and out

Red Beast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 commadore ve
I drive a 2009 Commadore sv6 VE. My radio is always constantly turning of and on ( head unit lights, screen, audio, everything) some times it’ll stay off for minutes some times it’ll just shut on and off every second. Got a diagnostics scan done and the only code I got related to the audio system was U0184-00 (DTC--CAN-Bus No Communication with Audio System IRC (Intergrated Radio Chassis)) don’t know if this is what’s going on but would love some explanation thanks.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Have you tried removing the facia and re-seating it? The front facia just clips off and on so the connection between the facia and the head unit itself might be loose.

Red Beast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 commadore ve
Yeah I have but 1 thing I forgot to mention is once I pulled the fuse out a little not fully and the radio worked fine for about a month then ever since Havnt been able to do it again but sometimes playing with the fuse will keep it on for short periods of time. I don’t know what that means though

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I have but 1 thing I forgot to mention is once I pulled the fuse out a little not fully and the radio worked fine for about a month then ever since Havnt been able to do it again but sometimes playing with the fuse will keep it on for short periods of time. I don’t know what that means though

Sounds like the contact terminals on the fuse might not be making proper contact with the fuse to allow consistent current flow.

Red Beast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 commadore ve
Sounds like the contact terminals on the fuse might not be making proper contact with the fuse to allow consistent current flow.
How would I go about fixing this?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
How would I go about fixing this?
Not sure as I’ve never had to deal with that fuse before. Generally speaking have a look and see if the terminals holding the fuse in are loose and not holding the fuse in properly. You might be able to bend the terminals back to grab the fuse better.

Of course it’s also possible that it might be the wiring behind the fuse going to the terminal that is loose which might require replacing or re-crimping the terminal to wire connection.

Red Beast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 commadore ve
I can’t seem to figure out how to remove the fuse box in the boot do you know how?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I can’t seem to figure out how to remove the fuse box in the boot do you know how?

You did try removing the facia and reinstalling it first, right? Not the fuse. The front of the head unit.

Even give it a few love taps around the edges an see what happens.

Red Beast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 commadore ve
Yeah
You did try removing the facia and reinstalling it first, right? Not the fuse. The front of the head unit.

Even give it a few love taps around the edges an see what happens.
I have tried removing it multiple times and nothings worked the only thing that kind of works is moving that fuse around. Just can’t figure out how to remove it to check or even removal that particular terminal looks pretty busted

Red Beast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 commadore ve

Even give it a few love taps around the edges a see what happens.
Ended up getting it off and tested everything I could with a multimeter and attempted to bend the terminals as much as I could but it’s still seeming to cut out but not as after stays on for a couple minutes and goes again. Only seems to cut out when engine is on aswell