Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radio and whole head unit cutting in and out

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
My old Clubsport had the same issue.
When it would black out, I'd pull the facial off and reinstall and that would work for a few months. Ended up removing the facia and bent some of the connector pins out to try and get a better connection. It worked.

Reactions: Lex

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Ended up getting it off and tested everything I could with a multimeter and attempted to bend the terminals as much as I could but it’s still seeming to cut out but not as after stays on for a couple minutes and goes again. Only seems to cut out when engine is on aswell
That sounds like a loose earth if it only does it when the car is running. The vibration of the car running sounds like it has an intermittent earth issue.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The fuse panel in the rear is not going to be something an inexperienced person can take on. It’s a complicated fix and should only be attempted with the negative terminal disconnected and the battery post isolated.

An auto sparky can do that easily. Expect a fair bit of labour, maybe two hours.

The facia is also the other weak point. Make sure it’s seated correctly.

Red Beast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 commadore ve
Yeah turns out facia was apart of the problem but when I resist it
, it’ll turn back on but only for a couple minutes before cutting out again. Is there a way to fix this or is it gonna ba a replacement deal

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You need to fix the fuse issue first.
The solution there is as above. An auto electrician is the qualified professional for the job. It’s not something an inexperienced enthusiast will be able to perform unless guided in person by someone suitably trained.

The facia problem may very well resolve itself after the fuse issue is sorted.

One step at a time in order of the power source. How will you know if a repair is successful unless upstream is put right.