Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radio off but still draining the battery??

Shannon86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY commodore wagon
Hope this is the right place to ask this because no one else can help me. I've got a problem with my 2002 commodore wagon where the radio won't turn off/not use the battery. Usually I can't turn on the radio without the keys turned in the ignition but since last Thursday it's constantly in 'stand by' (not sure if that's the right term) so when I wake up to go to work the battery is dead. I've been disconnecting the battery everyday but that's getting tiresome. I took it to an auto electrician who charged me $180 to tell me he didn't know what was wrong with it and couldn't fix it (thanks mate) so I'm hoping some of you Holden geniuses could give me a tip on how to fix this?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
What did the auto sparky do for $180 can I ask?
How much current is it drawing with the key off did he say and which fuse its being drawn from? Pull the radio out and unplug it does the problem keep happening?

Shannon86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY commodore wagon
What did the auto sparky do for $180 can I ask?
How much current is it drawing with the key off did he say and which fuse its being drawn from? Pull the radio out and unplug it does the problem keep happening?

Shannon86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY commodore wagon
Well when I bought the car a couple of years ago the previous owner had installed a handsfree phone thing with microphones all over the car so the sparky thought this might be the issue and uninstalled all of that.. he had my car for two days looking for the problem and said he was charging me for his time? But yeh didn't fix it (most likely got ripped off but I kinda expected that as a female who knows nothing about cars ) As for how much current or the fuse I wouldn't have a clue. It's actually happened before a couple of months ago and I rang Holden and the guy there said just to hold in the button that's in the door.. I did that and it fixed it but I tried that again this time and it did nothing. Unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue how to take the radio out and put it back in?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I think I used coat hanger wire for the hooks the last time I took a radio out you just need to hold your tongue the right way otherwise try pulling the radio fuse to see if its the radio causing your problems Im assuming its not the alternator causing the battery to go flat surely he tested that

Shannon86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY commodore wagon
Thank you!! I'm gonna try this

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Just out of curiosity, is your interior light working as expected? ie. coming on when you open the door?
The reason I ask, is some models don't actually switch the radio off until you turn the key off and open the door. So I'm thinking that if the button in the door is dodgy, the system might not "see" you open the door, hence leave the radio running.
If your light is coming on when you open the door, then forget everything I just said!

Shannon86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY commodore wagon
Just out of curiosity, is your interior light working as expected? ie. coming on when you open the door?
The reason I ask, is some models don't actually switch the radio off until you turn the key off and open the door. So I'm thinking that if the button in the door is dodgy, the system might not "see" you open the door, hence leave the radio running.
If your light is coming on when you open the door, then forget everything I just said!
I don't use the interior light either way it's always in the off position but I might put it on auto tomorrow and see if it stays on.. but I know what your saying and that's the problem. Usually when I turn the key off and open the door the radio automatically turns off but now.. when I open the door it still turns off but I can manually turn the radio on whether the key is in or not and I think that is what is slowly draining the battery cos it's in stand by. It's so strange and I've spoken to a few more people since posting this and still no one knows what's wrong with it. I tried to take the radio out (attempted anyway) but I was worried I was gonna break it more haha so I'm still at disconnecting the battery everyday Sucks

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hope this is the right place to ask this because no one else can help me. I've got a problem with my 2002 commodore wagon where the radio won't turn off/not use the battery. Usually I can't turn on the radio without the keys turned in the ignition but since last Thursday it's constantly in 'stand by' (not sure if that's the right term) so when I wake up to go to work the battery is dead. I've been disconnecting the battery everyday but that's getting tiresome. I took it to an auto electrician who charged me $180 to tell me he didn't know what was wrong with it and couldn't fix it (thanks mate) so I'm hoping some of you Holden geniuses could give me a tip on how to fix this?

1. It's as frustrating as hell but don't go doing anything stupid like pulling your radio out because the radio very likely will not be the issue. In fact all you would need to do to isolate the electrical circuit for the radio in any event is to go to your owner's manual, locate the fuse that covers the radio, and pull that fuse out.

2. The radio in my VY (when I had it 5 yrs ago) could always be turned on manually from new when all was turned off and the key was out of the ignition. Exactly the same with my current VE since new. So if you can do that in your car I would expect it is normal. Just ensure you radio is switched off when you lock up the car.

3. If your battery is 3 or more years old then discard it and get a new one. An old battery may not hold it's charge and the electronics running in the car when not in use for hours will be enough to weaken an already weak battery so you will not be able to start the car.

4. Like A lot of trades people these days who pass themselves off as professionals, but are anything but, the auto electrician you used was seemingly incompetent. If you do have a parasitic current draw that is the cause of the problem rather than your battery, all he had to do was locate the circuit which was drawing abnormal power in order to isolate the problem to a specific area and then deal with it. But I guess that was too big a task for his limited intelligence.

A simple explanation of what you need to have done is here in the link below. Print this out if you like and take it to any competent mechanic or auto electrician and tell him this is what you want him to do to isolate the excess current draw. Only then will you be able to locate the item that is causing the excess current drain and address it. Give them your owner's manual so they can easily locate all the fuses for your model and know what is what.
https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-electrical-problems/parasitic-draw-testing

While you are at it also have your alternator checked to ensure it is producing the power it is supposed to while you are running the car.

5. I do recall a few people with VYs who found there was an issue with the seat motor which kept drawing power when supposedly not in operation. So you might want to check that circuit first up to see if there is an excess current draw there.
(Also if you have a faulty switch for one of your electric windows, power can continue to run to the window motor and your battery can run down over night. I had this issue in a VT but a new switch under warranty fixed that.)

Last edited:

Shannon86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY commodore wagon
Omg you sir are amazing. Thank you!!!