Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Raise the legal driving age

Should there be a uniform driving age of 18 in Australia?

• Total voters

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
well shounak would you feel better if, when you get your L's (and your P's) you have to do a 2 Day course on learning how to control the car in different conditions like losing it in the wet and tryin to regrab control of it. (like that defensive course or what ever) i think they should make it a rule for when you get your L's then when you get your P's. This would have to make a difference on crashes.

Jecs

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Jecs said:
well shounak would you feel better if, when you get your L's (and your P's) you have to do a 2 Day course on learning how to control the car in different conditions like losing it in the wet and tryin to regrab control of it. (like that defensive course or what ever) i think they should make it a rule for when you get your L's then when you get your P's. This would have to make a difference on crashes.

Jecs

I think it's a good idea but it will make a lot of drivers even more c0cky.. Whoa I'm good I can control my car whilst losing traction. I did skids in a controlled skid pan, I could definitely do em here..

It was found that drivers doing defensive driving courses were more likely to get into situations where they would have to use what they learnt. So it increases the risks people take because they feel better equipped to deal with it..

I would only support it if it applied to everyone. But if it did apply to everyone the cost would be too huge.. So whilst in theory I do agree with it, I wouldn't support it..

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Shounak said:
This is the point everyone misses.. Looking back, a lot of individuals COULD drive and had the raw skills to drive, but the right attitude? Most P platers can drive properly. They can do turns and handle themselves adequately, it's when they become ****y that the problem occurs (in most cases)..

Anyway, this isn't about individuals. Otherwise nearly everyone abotu 18-21 would say, oh a few years ago I was fine to drive. It's about the collective, people in the 16-17 demographic..

On the whole do you think 16-17 is an ideal age to start driving? Not could you drive a car at 16-17..

Touchy subject yes. I suppose when I think about it no matter what age we start driving, there will always be a minority to f**k the whole thing up.

From the heros who think they are hot sh1t when they plant thier foot and the left front tyre of thier corrola chirps to the p plater who wipes out some granny when he has had one too many.

I started driving (legaly) when I was 16 so I am slightly biased but I have no problem with 16-17 year old drivers. And yes (law authorities please overt your eyes) I was driving when I was about 13-14 on public roads. (18 km between farms)

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
I think it should be 18 across all states and territories with an emphasis from Year 10 onwards of compulsary driver education classes (both practical and theory).

A lot of the two day 'advanced' driving courses offered at the moment are a joke, if you pay your course fees you'll get your certificate regardless of if you hit the witches hats each time or not, and most of these courses don't go anywhere near a skidpan.

I think that all learner drivers should have log books just like student pilots and they need 'x' amount of hours behind the wheel in all conditions (under a professional driving instructors guidance, not falsified log books from parents, etc to bump hours up) and only when they have enough hours they can go for their licence test.

But as mentioned previously a lot of it comes down to attitude and there will always be the idiots out there..

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Everyone is saying they should be able to drive etc, or anyone cand rive etc.

The point is it's not about being able to drive. Hell if that was the case i could have got my licence at 5 when i used to drive the paddock bomb around.

Fact is, no child is mature enough to handle the road at 16/17 hell even 18/19 and 20 for us males.

Something needs to be done to bring it into line, some 18/19 year old drivers scare me, let alone 16/17 year olds.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
What's your proposed solution Minux? Drive with a fully licensed driver beside you until males turn 21 and females turn 19?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Shounak said:
What's your proposed solution Minux? Drive with a fully
licensed driver beside you until males turn 21 and females turn 19?

No solution, just saying what i thought...doesn't mean i have to provide a solution.

I think maybe pysch tests could be done to determine wether someone is mentally capable of driving, could solve ALOT of problems. Who know's, all i know is, i try and pass all new driver's ASAP or i give them loads of room :)

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
As much as i say I wish i lived in another state, I still think 18 is the perfect age to get your P's an should have a logged ammount of hours necasary, they dont even check your log books in vic...... I got 372hours lol....

Just sayin I rekon waiting til your 18 is better....

Cheers
MaT

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Jecs said:
Not Me.

Everyone falls off the ladder, and you learn from it.Jecs

What a stupid anallergy to use. :b: Young people die because they dont know there limits. They aint getting back up after falling off the ladder are they.

Raise the age.;)

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
nope, silly idea. what's good for some places isn't good for others. the NT is a bit like NZ in the whole remoteness, not many cars thing. why should young people up here suffer?

also, by learning earlier, you are developing your skills earlier, and at a time when you learn better. i know i could learn and memorise things a lot easier when i was younger. we should be teaching people when theyare at their prime.

another thing. i was off my p's by 18. this was a great relief for my family as when we'd drive the 3200km to adelaide at christmas, we would have an extra driver making it safer as we were all more alert while driving.