Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ve lives again (sorta)

gazzat

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 3.6L commodore omega automatic
Hello to all that may have been following my ongoing saga with this 2006 VE 3.6 V6. Ok it all started out with just driving along one day and the old chimes and bells started going off and the ABS and the Traction stability control is disabled. So whacked the old scanner on and the P0500 speed senor issue came up, ok dug deeper and the scanner came up with all 4 wheel sensors decided to go on strike at the same time, did a bit of investigating and found was not getting any voltage down to any of the sensors, so i didn't worry to much about( since it's mainly for idiot drivers who try and take vehicle past the engineering limits, or in a one of incident of lose of vehicle control) as they ABS and Traction are basically the same deal. Anyway driving along and another code popped up P0625 Alt 'F' field low voltage. Ok checked what the Alt was pumping out and it ranged from 13-16V so one of you guys showed me a chart of what it should be pumping out with what you had running. So i ordered another one from China and whilst waiting a few more strange things happened but i just put it down to the voltage fluctuation's.Ok i ordered the unit on the 24/1/24 and it was delivered on the 30/1/24, so i think it was about 3 days later i fitted it, once fitted checked the output and it was around 14.3-14.5 so all good.Now about 3 weeks later i started having troubles, now a lot of the JC community kept saying check the battery, got the battery checked came up as good, but brought a new one as per recommended for that vehicle because the other one was a bit small, so put that in and all good for awhile then it started to show check engine light,contact dealer and it went in to limp mode a few times and i noticed that when i turned the key just to on the tacho,speedo dials would go backwards for a few milliseconds and then when i turned the key to start the little green screen would disappear and i had a flat battery a few times, so i had a lot of problems and it was driving me mad, anyway one day it completely stopped on the side of the road, so i had to get a jump start, i only had a few K'S to drive home so that was good. So i put the battery on charge all night and when i got up in the morning and connected the leads and started her up with no problems so i thought this is weird so i lifted up the bonnet and the noise that i heard, anyway i traced it to the brand new ALT, it was not putting out 1 volt and when i left it running for awhile it got that hot you could not touch it. So listening to this noise i said to my self that sound like the cooling fan to blow over the heat sink was loose so i put my phone down to it and recorded the sound and i will try and put the links to all this. I hope it works as i put it on the cloud,anyway i got in contact with supplier and they said they will give me a refund and i finished up buying one from Repco because i need a car and so far so good. Cheers Garry
https://1drv.ms/v/c/d814abc2a38b841e/EZt_px3EBCFAnTkYClvrb3QBZS92u6j9zxfXq2wE05Znsg?e=318eh1
https://1drv.ms/v/c/d814abc2a38b841e/ETqBu-UoQ61OkeHBrBGM8iMBfTkRC012_imrCVtGRELZIQ?e=y5QQoh
https://1drv.ms/v/c/d814abc2a38b841e/EfrkTe9EAwRJtHpiqdgXiv8BcM9cb32TeWs4tEaUsNrPzg?e=hyiCjp
https://1drv.ms/v/c/d814abc2a38b841e/EWH9Kjna7DVJuoxNTei8Is0BGecX-RzzUlgOp6ZZLKMjGA?e=NtgCA8
https://1drv.ms/v/c/d814abc2a38b841e/EUxdi9QXFNFKlQV4CYiVo70B8Bb2nlkoubGSyGhhWarPew?e=VTSQgb

Attachments

• Purchase-Ebay.jpg
    Purchase-Ebay.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Repco1.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 43

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Unfortunately some eBay items are not as good as they make out,

It was great you got it sorted out.

The VE’s have a very sensitive electrical system, and a smart one at that, as you found out, the normal charge voltage has to be between approx. 14.3 > 14.7, and after start up, it can go as high as approx. 15.2,
some will disagree.
Whereas, these are my findings.

Because if and when a item/device (Battery or Alternator) starts to fail,
It will let you know, as it starts to conserve power for more important systems to get you either home, or to a safe location, as these are the hearts of these billion $ babies.
Yet again, they can be a right PITA to diagnose a fault without the right equipment/tools.
They are a smart car, but some will state otherwise.

In your case of a hot alternator, unfortunately you received a faulty unit, that can happen, whereas it was possibly a faulty diode on the bridge rectifier,
And caused it to get hot, and fail,
but buying from a reputable seller is very important,
In a nutshell,
Well done for persistence in finding the fault, and fixing it.

Last edited:

gazzat

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 3.6L commodore omega automatic
Unfortunately some eBay items are not as good as they make out,

It was great you got it sorted out.

The VE’s have a very sensitive electrical system, and a smart one at that, as you found out, the normal charge voltage has to be between approx. 14.3 > 14.7, and after start up, it can go as high as approx. 15.2,
some will disagree.
Whereas, these are my findings.

Because if and when a item/device (Battery or Alternator) starts to fail,
It will let you know, as it starts to conserve power for more important systems to get you either home, or to a safe location, as these are the hearts of these billion $ babies.
Yet again, they can be a right PITA to diagnose a fault without the right equipment/tools.
They are a smart car, but some will state otherwise.

In your case of a hot alternator, unfortunately you received a faulty unit, that can happen, whereas it was possibly a faulty diode on the bridge rectifier,
And caused it to get hot, and fail,
but buying from a reputable seller is very important,
In a nutshell,
Well done for persistence in finding the fault, and fixing it.
hello, yep they can be a pain these VE's' now back to the original problem with the ABS and traction control but no hurry because now i can get started to get back to rebuilding the Pajero and then maybe just sell the VE with faults or have a go and fix it. Cheers