Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RANT: Restaurant Etiquette

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
wow.... suck it up man.

Ive worked in fast food for like most of my life as an extra part time job, try dealing with those sorts of people.

Your in hospitality, your work for the customer... deal with it or change jobs.

aZk.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
wow.... suck it up man.

Ive worked in fast food for like most of my life as an extra part time job, try dealing with those sorts of people.

aZk.

we are not talking about mc donalds here

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
wow.... suck it up man.

aZk.

Fast food is the lowest of lows in customers' eyes, unfortunately. People assume that if you work there it mut be because you are worthless, unskilled and a waste of oxygen. It's part of the territory, unfortunate as it may be.

The distinction is that some of the things listed do not only affect the waiter, but also the people trying to enjoy a meal around them. Should they have to put up with kids running around screaming etc?

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
wow.... suck it up man.

aZk.

Hospitality means being hospitable, not being someone's whipping boy/slave...and some of the cr@p that customers try and lay on staff is amazing.

Service staff are there to serve you, not lick your arsch.

I did 12 years in "hospitality" in cafe's, bars, restaurants and nightclubs until I couldn't take it any more - the industry eats your soul.

A few more favourites of mine are:

Large groups (15+) walking in without a booking on a crowded as night, wanting to eat a la carte (that's off the menu for anyone in the fast food industry) and then complaining when all 15+ meals don't arrive at the table at the same time; personally I would be worried if all meals did.

Large groups ordering a la carte, then swapping places all over the table.
A lot of service staff will take the orders in the pattern of the table so they know which place to bring the food to...so then we have to stand there asking "who ordered the so and so" and either no one remembers they did, or someone says they did and when they have started eating it realise that they didn't order it...please try and at least remember what you ordered FFS...

Large groups wanting to pay individually after a whole night of eating and ordering many extra drinks...what are the chances everyone "remembers" how many glasses of wine and bourbons they had?

Large groups paying one bill together - everyone is chucking money on the table and you can see that a lot of the customers (especially the half pi$$ed guys) are putting down $5 + tips then the clown "in charge" of paying the bill counts what's on the table and just puts in enough to equal the total - like you reckon we don't know that you have virtually paid nothing for your food you miserable little puss head?

I'm focusing mainly on groups here because they can be the most difficult to look after, staff have to work hard to get it right for you, and it would be nice if when some of you go out together in a crowd that you bear that in mind...because it's not may people who have to deal with 15+ customers/clients/phone calls et cetera at the same time.

Cheers.

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
wow.... suck it up man.

aZk.

Just because you are working for the customer doesn't mean they have the right to an arsehole! Its a cop out to say "I deserve to behave however I like" no you don't, we are providing a service NOT providing a place to vent your aggression and abuse.

Honestly I believe in doing everything in our power to satisfy a guest and treat them as if they are a god, if there is a problem I will do my utmost to fix the problem. Often the people that have a problem and we fix it become valued return customers. But never is it ok to yell and abuse staff! No one deserves to be treated badly just for doing there jobs (aside from politicians), generally its not even the person your abusings fault and honestly if you approach the situation calmy and with respect you are more likely to get a result you want!

MEANVY

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Omega
also laughing excessively loud is not acceptable.
nor is it acceptable to STEAL or even to pretend to steal.
large obnoxious camera flash's when it is not appropriate.
rearranging the furniture is also not acceptable.
watching videos on your phone psp game boy or other devices is not acceptable (unless your under 10 then you might get away with it).
wolf whistling at a waiter/waitress is not acceptable.
don't whinge about the portion of your meal if you don't like it kindly **** OFF and take your family to your local fish and chip shop.
throwing your cutlery is not acceptable.
if you require a specific menu for example vegetarian, gluten free, allergies, let them know when you book so they can prepare a nice meal for you.

there are many more but i can't think of them as i just woke up

don't be silly. if a steak is too cooked or stringy you would expect customers to suck it up and shell out 200+ for your sub standard food then spend another 20 at the mcdonalds drive through because they didn't eat the stingy/dry/overcooked parts of their meal and they're still hungry?

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
don't be silly. if a steak is too cooked or stringy you would expect customers to suck it up and shell out 200+ for your sub standard food then spend another 20 at the mcdonalds drive through because they didn't eat the stingy/dry/overcooked parts of their meal and they're still hungry?

umm he was talking about meal sizes and people thinking they should get more...not about burnt or stringy steak...:bang:

pete_car

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Acclaim
amen to that man, ive worked in restaurants as a chef before and now ive decided to take a break and do front of house and bar tending, its soo different actually facing the people that complain, but i do have an upper hand when they complain about a meal, or ask what something is :)

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I try to be polite to everyone who I am paying for something.

that includes waiters too, staff at any shop I go to, etc, etc. even tech support if I ever call them ( I have once or twice)

I used to work on the phones doing tech support for travel software for a rather large (Global) travel company called HRG.

Some of the customers were assholes, 99% of the people in the Gov were bastards too, they treated us like crap. (The company did/does all the travel for the AUS gov)

Being polite and nice to people generally gets you what you want, so I be polite, if someone is a **** to me though, i'll dish it straight back.

rpurser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exec Wagon
spot on guys, as a restaurant manager i completely agree. i work two shifts a week in the kitchen and peek time on the floor. If you complain about something i know the answer, customers are actually shocked when i can explain the whole cooking process.
only the other week i had a customer tell one of my waitresses her lasagne was over cooked, only to tell another waitress it was under cooked, i then spoke to the customer to arrange a replacement meal at no charge and was told neither waitress could work out an answer and the the lasagne was just not enjoyable; in the kindest possible way i told her that is ok feel free to finish what u want and leave, dont worry about the bill just leave.
o and yes - if your gonna split the bill work it out yourself, most mobiles have a calculator if u get stuck.