Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ratio Rockers or Cam for L67 ??

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by VS CALAIS, Aug 2, 2006.

1. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    Hi ppls,
    Just wondering what you all would go for a set of ratio rockers lets say 1.95:1 (FIT or YT) or a cam install (Which cam , who's cam) for a VS L67 ? just can't make up my mind on which way to go :bang:

I would also be interested to see what other people are running in their L67's out there, :thumbsup:

2. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    Anyone ....... anyone out there ???? helloooooooo

3. sixshooter

sixshooter New Member

Members Ride:
    2x VS
    You wont get anywhere near the valve lift that can be attained by swapping rockers compared to swapping a cam... rockers are known as a poor mans substitute for a cam.

Realistically you can't go any higher than 1.8 for roller rockers without swapping the valve springs, other wise you'll get valve bounce. But when swapping for stiffer valve springs, wear on the camchain guide increases and stretched chains occur. Most engine builders ditch the single cam chain for a dual row, which means a balance shaft can't be used anymore as there is no room for the balance shaft gear.

But by swapping the cam you can gain extra time/duration of the valves being fully open and flowing, therefore increasing effieciency of the intake and exhaust stroke cycles and gaining more power.

It really depends on what you really want out of you engine...if you want a rocket with a sexy exhaust burble then go the cam !!!

It you just want a easy bolt on mod then go the rockers... but remember that if you decide on getting a cam later you wont be able to use the high ratio rockers unless you can get a specific custom grind.

Hope that helps! btw I am slightly biased towards the cam :)

4. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    Fair enough sixshooter ;)
    what i'm after is a reliable daily driver with a bit of poke in it, i've just been reserching and getting opinions on going the FIT / YT rockers or going for a cam.
    i guess with a cam it would be more expensive but greater options on what and how it produces its power.
    Apart from Clive Cams (formaly of Wade) does anyone recommend any other cams or cam makers to suit the L67 ?
    Thanks in advance

5. sixshooter

sixshooter New Member

Members Ride:
    2x VS
    Competition Cams (hard to find info on the L67)

http://www.compcams.com/

there's better list of cams here

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...04&PHPSESSID=de70a54df3ff609989336d89fdcfc14d

Crow Cams (they're a bit dicky with there 0.075" spec's most measure @ 0.05" of valve lift which makes it harder to compare cams but they do make one)

http://www.crowcams.com.au/templates/Catalogue-HoldenV6.shtml

Intense-Racing (I think they have the fastest L67 in America atm.)

http://www.intense-racing.com/

6. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    Thanks heaps sixshooter ;)
    much appreciated . :)

7. sixshooter

sixshooter New Member

Members Ride:
    2x VS
    No worries... Oh and I forget to mention... there's also Lou's Lumpsticks @ Blue Chip Tuning :D he has a tread in his section !!! :)

8. hoarey85

hoarey85 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive
    hey mate

i hav these fitted to my VT and i would suggest the rockers all the way, for the simple fact that they are so easy to fit and give you the same power sain but with out the bad idea that the CAM give you

Cheers
    Haorey85

9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SV8, VX V6
    the yt rockers are a proper roller rocker that can reduce a lot of friction

the fit rocker is a 2nd hand reweld

i would go a cam with a set of yt rockers for the best performance.

10. bandsaw

bandsaw New Member

VS Calais I would say your best option would be just a cam, once you put the right cam in place there will be no need for rockers.
    So mate don't be like a Skippi and waste your money on **** you dont need. The L67 engines do run a little bit of overlap with their standard cams in order of obtaining a slight
    EGR efect to lower combustion temps for lower nox gasses out the tail pipe thus loosing some dynamic boost preasure.
    A custom ground cam will eliminate all that and your engine will be pumpin.

Saw.

11. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    Thanks saw , will be looking into cam install and even some YT rockers, gotta work out which cam so i can order the rockers :bang:

12. sixshooter

sixshooter New Member

Members Ride:
    2x VS
    I've been doing some research on other American sites to see what they've been fitting... it seem the VS cam is a popular choice as you can run it with the stock springs, stock timing chain and tensioner... it is only a mild cam but packs a punch !

Next on the list is the XP Hot grind...this also can be run with stock heads but you'll need upgraded valve springs (105#) which introduces issues such as increased cam chain tensioner wear... I've seen pictures of a brand new cam chain tensioner used with this cam and a stock chain after 20,000 Km and it looked knackered.... the owner wasn't worried cause he was just replacing them as he prefered to keep the original balance shaft operating.

It's a pickle cause if you go for that cam or anything wilder you risk detroying the tensioner and most probably the motor aswell as pieces of it jam up the oil ways. There's no option but to remove the balance shaft and fit a dual row timing chain... but then you'll need to get the whole motor rebuild and balanced to perfection if you want it to last.

Personally I'd look at getting extractors first if you havent done so... then a modular pulley system with a smaller pulley of 3.5 inches... then pick the VS cam... and then play around with smaller pulleys while having it tuned to suit...maybe whack a Y/T intercooler in there to get the smallest pulley size to suit... and also increase the cooling capacity of the motor cause the cam and pulley are gonna heat it up... the extractors will help keep it cool that's why they would be my first mod.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006