Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re 2010 SV Wagon

Farmer680

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SIDI Commodore
Hi my Daughters boy friend has a 2010 SV6 wagon just under 97000 klms on the clock , the engine check light come on, he thought it might be a 02 sensor , got it checked Holden are saying it is the cam chain $3600 to fix, can some one tell me how on earth can a cam chain stretch at 97000 klms Holden said it's a common problem with the Commodores , but they never told him that before he brought it

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
low quality parts. i thought there was a recall for the timing chain issue, could be wrong though.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
If it's the SIDI model then there shouldn't be a timing chain problem.

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
thats a very very common issue on the alloytecs, seen them with it as low as 60,000. low quality chains, under constant stress. Its a big job, and take a fair while to do. There was a software update for them that changes the values in the pcm so that the chains can stretch firther without any issues, maybe check that its had that done?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
yes it's the SIDI model they said it will take 2 days to fix

Well it shouldn't be the timing chain then. Warranty should be over by now so take it to a mechanic and see what they say.

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
Farmer, has it always been serviced at holden?
If so hit them/GMH up for a after warrenty claim. I got mine done for about $1000 because of that. And my car was at 110,000kms and 5 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
thats a very very common issue on the alloytecs, seen them with it as low as 60,000. low quality chains, under constant stress. Its a big job, and take a fair while to do. There was a software update for them that changes the values in the pcm so that the chains can stretch firther without any issues, maybe check that its had that done?

I thought the software update was for the Alloytec motor. Farmer680 says this is a SIDI motor and like others I thought the (Alloytec) stretched timing chains had been rectified in the later VE Alloytec models (maybe from 2008 on???). I think I have seen posts where VIN ranges were quoted which indicated whether your particular VIN meant that you may have a problem. I know the VZ model also had the same issue.

However I guess there could be a problem with this particular SIDI motor. It could be down to something as simple of lack of maintenance.

Did the Holden dealer give your daughter's boyfriend the codes that were reported when they connected the scan tool to his car? Post them and some on this forum might be able to give you more precise advice.

BTW I have also seen posts where non Holden mechanics have changed timing chains and gears on Alloytec motors for about half the price of Holden dealers.

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
its not the timing chain.. the timing chain only effected models from 06 to 08 when they replaced the chains with the bigger ones. holden is trying to steal from you dude. the SIDI's have the bigger timing chains and are set for life. id get a second opinion.

Y

Yarsii

Yes, it's the SIDI motor. No, it shouldnt be expected to have an issue with the timing chains but c'mon seriously.. your just flat out saying no it can't be the chains? How very naive to think that it's not the chains at all just because it's a later model VE. Parts go bust in cars all the time that are one offs and don't affect the whole lineup.

OP, what's the service history like? Each service on time and fully carried out? Where has it been serviced?
Ask the dealer to approach Holden for warranty assistance. Nothing to lose!