Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-manufactured 19" Redline Wheels & Tyres

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The guy whose selling them had a VE Redline and a VF (S1) Redline, so maybe they were from the latter vehicle? Not sure. But even if they're not exactly correct for my model, I'll still grab them. There's getting less and less of the genuine ones and they are new after all. Have to get this stuff when it comes up and this guy sounds really helpful - didn't want my offer of a packing fee, he's putting them on a pallet and sending Vic-WA for $100. Can't complain about that.
They would have been from the later VF1's.
Great wheels, they're manufactured by forging and super tough.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Thnx, That's good to know! I just hope everything goes smoothly. As we all know, often it doesn't. He got back to me with the total and just transferred a small test amount to his account. Most of the dozens of buy/sell transactions over the years have been ok but there's been a couple where the money didn't go where it should have. Or as happened recently, the dummy sent the wrong thing. Doing this off ebay too so a lot less margin for error and less protection.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Thnks! Right!! All makes sense now - MY is Model Year (of course, shoulda seen that). I was going to try and do a lesson in this from searching the net.

Just checked and was wrong about Oct build - it's actually Sept 08 and the model is given as VE8EP35. Can't see any MY at all on there. So the MY designations might have come out just after that maybe...,
You won't find an 'MY' prefix stamped against a build date on any tag. It is simply something used as a descriptor in communications about a vehicle.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You won't find an 'MY' prefix stamped against a build date on any tag. It is simply something used as a descriptor in communications about a vehicle.
Ta for clarifying that - it was my thought too without knowing really too much, just looking at a few pics of tags. Must have originated from somewhere in Holden though.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Alot of vehicles are referred as MY (insert year) cars.

Just look at adverts for vehicles for sale online, in car yards just for starters and you'll see it's not just one manufacturer...I tend to think it's a market making such references

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
If sale falls through, have you also tried Holden direct for the VF2 Redline wheels?
Pretty sure they are still available, and sometimes they are cheaper than second hand (Or eBay from genuine resellers)

They were still in production as recently as March 2021. I bought a full set brand-new (Non staggered as mine where for SV6) from a Genuine Holden seller on eBay back in July 2021 (Scored 22% off each Rim with free shipping at the time. With a voucher I had, got a brand new set for only $1500, one of my "Alan Bond" deals that) When they arrived, they had a manufacturing mark of March 2021

The VF1 Later model "VF2 Style" rims are forged by Alcoa in the USA. You can tell them by looking closely as they have a thinner spoke profile, and only painted on the front section. With the tyres off, the well of the rim is also a different shape

VF2 Switched to cast in Thailand thanks to the bean counters. They are fully painted black front and back, and the spokes are thicker

Interestingly, the 20inch HSVi style rims were often touted as forged, yet from the pics ive seen of the back of them they definitely seem cast, they even have a marking that says something to the effect of DICSTAL which I interpret as "Die Cast Alloy"

Noticed alot of rim manufacturers are getting cutesy with marketing terms like "Flow Forged" or "Flow Formed". Which undoubtedly means cast

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Ta for clarifying that - it was my thought too without knowing really too much, just looking at a few pics of tags. Must have originated from somewhere in Holden though.

Model Year also denotes equipment and driveline specifications of a particular variant.

For instance, my wife's Equinox is an LT variant built in 2019 but is an MY18 (Not a typo).

The MY18 LT came with the 2L Turbo and 9 speed auto, whereas the 2019 MY20 LT came with a 1.5L Turbo and 6 speed auto trans.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If sale falls through, have you also tried Holden direct for the VF2 Redline wheels?...
Thanks for all the good info (a lot). It's very interesting to know as well. I have already bought them and he sent a pic of them packed on a pallet and the con note number etc. But I will still make enquiries about availability and see if I could have got them cheaper!

The seller was very honest and seemed to know a lot about the models and the wheels. He said he's had a few Redlines and has a contact at Holden parts. I paid $2000 for the staggered set - the two fronts are second hand but immaculate from the photos and have Pirelli 245/45 on them (forgot the model though). With shipping to Perth via TNT including Transit Warranty and two new genuine centre caps add an extra $248. So I was quite happy with that and even if I could have got them all a bit cheaper somewhere, this seller was very honest, smart and went the extra mile to make sure everything was done right and that I was happy. Based on experiences dealing with hundreds of people over the years, mostly cars and bits & pieces - there's so many halfwits and crooks around that I don't mind paying a bit extra for honesty, and good considerate service.

Based on your observations, I will check to see where they were made and the paint and spokes etc.

And as well, I should be able to get around at least $1200 for the 20" am rims and tyres on it at the mo. They are BS Potenzas, all around 70-80%. But will probably just keep them, in case I want to sell or swap the car later down the track; they'd be a good extra point to go with it.

Last edited:

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought a full set brand-new (Non staggered as mine where for SV6) from a Genuine Holden seller on eBay back in July 2021 (Scored 22% off each Rim with free shipping at the time. With a voucher I had, got a brand new set for only $1500, one of my "Alan Bond" deals that) When they arrived, they had a manufacturing mark of March 2021
A great bargain no doubts about it!

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The VF1 Later model "VF2 Style" rims are forged by Alcoa in the USA. You can tell them by looking closely as they have a thinner spoke profile, and only painted on the front section. With the tyres off, the well of the rim is also a different shape
The wheels arrived today and all good. Checked inside the 9" rears and says ALCOA - made in USA. Look like a quality item, nicely coated inside with an even clear. Thanks for letting me know about that.