Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Really need help to choose audio system.

braadles87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I'm looking to add two front 6" speakers and a sub woofer. I wish to connect the speakers to the amplifier along with the sub woofer. The amplifier will be put in the boot so size isn't a massive issue. There are two 6" speakers at the rear of the car which I am unsure as to whether or not i will/should replace them. My budget is ~$300-400. I'm pretty new to the whole car audio deal so any help is appreciated!

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Most cost effective way is to leave the rears. They aren't important on a budget system anyway.

Spend $100 on some 6" splits for the front, and $200-300 on a GOOD 4 channel amplifier (the jaycar ones are highly regarded). Bridge 2 channels for the rear and use the other 2 for each front speaker.

You'll need to spend some money on a sub and box too. If you're not too fussy, clarion seems to be a good brand for a pretty low price. Others will have different opinions on that though.

Buy your wiring from jaycar too, much cheaper and higher quality than you'll be able to get in one of those crappy wiring kits.

Unless you can do everything yourself, or you're happy using second hand parts, then it'll probably end up being more expensive than $400.

braadles87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Am I better off investing more into the amplifier than the sub? or should they be an approximately similar price? All the installation isn't an issue for me as i can do it myself, I'm thinking that I'll head down to Jaycar in the next day or so to take a look.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
My dad's got a set of speakers from jaycar and he loves them they costs around 190 for two, I've got pioneer cheapies in mine and they're good enough for the mean time.