Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Disk brakes

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have an LSD and it's nothing special. On the road it's average, if it even works and when you want to turn the rear wheels, if carrying out repairs you need to jack up both sides. It would be ok if the cones worked better.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Won't a full VN beam axle be wider and create other problems? The OP really needs a VL BW turbo diff IMO.

Track increase of 10mm (?) per side, trailing arms are in the same place. As long as you take that into account when you make your wheel selection, no issues.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Track increase of 10mm (?) per side, trailing arms are in the same place. As long as you take that into account when you make your wheel selection, no issues.

That sounds like the go then. Plenty of VR/VS utes around with live axle LSD if you live in the right cities. Personally I'd just disk brake the existing axle. Like I said unless you have a low k LSD cone diff it will fall short on expectations anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Will the vt diff just swap over or do I need to swap the housing? ?
What type of axle is the one you bought, live or IRS? Doesn't make sense you saying fitting the complete VT with housing into a VL?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep different axle seal thickness for drum & disc models...will fit up no issues,just might leak oil...

Fitting complete vn/s diff is fine if don't lower car only fit stockies,don't expect anything decent to fit without rubbing lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep different axle seal thickness for drum & disc models...will fit up no issues,just might leak oil...

Wonder why my seal and bearing kit said fits HQ right through to VS? I thought it was odd when I bought it, that a Salisbury and Banjo use the same wheel bearing and seal kit as a BW?? Unless it was VQ but that still seems odd as VQ was IRS?? Did some HQs have rear disk?

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Wonder why my seal and bearing kit said fits HQ right through to VS? I thought it was odd when I bought it, that a Salisbury and Banjo use the same wheel bearing and seal kit as a BW?? Unless it was VQ but that still seems odd as VQ was IRS?? Did some HQs have rear disk?
Its only the spacer that you don't use on the drum axle from memory

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Disc rears first came out with the HZ from memory...IMA, the memory ain't the best either....