Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear end grinding/meshing sound, rubber or plastic seems like, almost a slight clunking sound ,

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
Doesn't sound like diff gear failure , sounds very much like rubber or plastic gear meshing , generally after driving for a long distance and then slowing down to enter round about or pulling up and reversing into driveway

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Have you checked the tailshaft centre bearing?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Check that first - it may be the culprit based on your description

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
Check that first - it may be the culprit based on your description
Righto , good call, definitely not a metal grind/meshing sounds rubber if that makes sense, didn't realise it had a centre bearing, I can see some type of coupling at the front of the diff ... most modern Holden I ever owned

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
1672404147923.png

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)

Rastawayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx v6
Thanks for the advice , I ordered a new centre bearing and drive couplings to do at the same time.... now I will work on another issue I have ... an engine warning alarm that co.es on about 10 seconds after I start the engine, it sounds the same as the hand brake alarm but the engine fault light comes on ... that one has me beat, all fluids are good and nothing out of the ordinary has started happening, don't know whether to take it to a shop for them guys to take a guess $150 a time or let it ride , it's been doing it for a few months and I did notice it happen a couple times while aggressive cornering going up a mountain range

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
@Rastawayne
To own one of these beasts and do your own maintenance you really need to own a decent scanner in order to do the diagnostics and then determine a solution as so much of it is related to sensors and computers.
An engine fault light could be for numerous reasons. You can get it scanned to give yourself an insight or purchase a scanner so you can work on the car going forward. Tech 2 clone, Vident or Topdon are the common choices at the moment. If you do a search on this site you will find a few threads related to scanners.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls