Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rebuild/Stroking Ecotec

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Have you considered rebuilding a shagged l67? Cost would be much less than a stroker and you would see 200rwkw with cam and few minor mods. Just a thought.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Yeah more recently I've just been thinking of getting a VY Calais with an L67
Either way I'd think an L67 is the better option in the long run considering cash flow at the moment and such
Or just grab a Raptor charger, install can't be all that much could it?

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Raptors aren't cheap though. And the bottom end torque is not quite like on the l67. Raptor charged with 200rwkw and a cooled l67 with 200rwkw are two very different cars. As the power goes up the difference in torque is even greater.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Raptors aren't cheap though. And the bottom end torque is not quite like on the l67. Raptor charged with 200rwkw and a cooled l67 with 200rwkw are two very different cars. As the power goes up the difference in torque is even greater.

Second hand ones can be.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I prefer low end (For high end I'd want a turbo obviously haha) so would my better bet be the L67?
Any clue how they go down the 1/4 stock and/or worked?

And I'm not sure whether I should convert this to an L67 (Does it just need a top charger?) or buy a VY L67 instead

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I prefer low end (For high end I'd want a turbo obviously haha) so would my better bet be the L67?
Any clue how they go down the 1/4 stock and/or worked?

And I'm not sure whether I should convert this to an L67 (Does it just need a top charger?) or buy a VY L67 instead

No, there is a lot of **** involved in making a L36 an L67, basically the only things you can keep are the block and the crank. Buy an L67 either an engine or car, and go from there.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Yep that's right ^^

Stock they're nothing special maybe a 15 flat at best.

10 psi pulley, rockers, CAI and exhaust you're looking at mid-low 14s.

Cooler, 2.5" pulley, exhaust and tune you're looking at a low-flat 13

Add slicks and port the blower a bit and you will run a high 12

Add cam, ls1 tb, bit more boost and you're well into the 12s. Low 12s possible with higher diff ratio.

General guideline depending on vehicle/driver etc.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Probably be happy in the 13s, intercooler appeals to me as well

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I did want to but considering cash flow and value for money I think I might save for a nice VY L67, probably just finish the bolt-ons for the VS, make it look good with some rims and tint and then save.
Probably shouldn't admit but I underestimated an Astra the other day... must've been the turbocharged version but it'd just be a pain to see one take off even if I had a stroked V6 with all the bolt-ons, I'm not sure how mine would compare after those mods (the Astra apparently does 6.5 seconds to 100 and mid 14 quarter)
Only thing I'm weary of is that VY is heavier, though I guess it's worth it for the more modern part
Frogsta

Edit; Also how does $3500 sound for an L67 conversion? What i was quoted to put one in the VS