Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended full Synthetic oil for LS1 162,000KM???

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I know this has more then likely been covered a billion times in the past.

However I just got my VZ and the oil is black, I want to give it a full service and wanted to know what oil is the best weight and brand for these motors with 162,000kms.

What is recommended, prices roughly and is Royal Purple worth is big gap in $$$?

Thanks

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I used castrol edge sport 10w-60 in mine and it did fine. Same amount of kms. Many members seem to use it in their ls1s

HTV1900

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown SS VY
I have heard using a fully synthetic oil in an engine that has always been run on mineral oil can cause oil leaks. Royal Purple is over rated IMHO.
At any rate, use the search function as there are a multitude of threads that cover LS1 friendly oils.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
the more you search the more it will do your head in. I went thru it all, over all I found as TVR-190 said the Castrol Edge 10-60 seems to be the most common used. It is expencive, but on sale often.

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Penrite HPR10 which is a 10w50 which is what i use in my LS1 aswell as my brother and cousin....

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
pretty much choose your poison, castrol/nulon/penrite will have an oil for you

just a case of which one suits your car best

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As mentioned, many threads.

Castrol, Valvoline Synpower I have used in current car, Royal Purple in my other
Some ppl claim noise increases when using Castrol, and i agree but is a good oil and the Valvoline Synpower was fine also.

Currently i bought this but havent put it in yet.
Heard good things bout it and was comparitive price from Repco to the Castrol/Valvolines etc (which were also on sale)

waBZR.jpg

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Another +1 for Castrol 10w60.

Additionally it is one of the very few TRUE fully synthetic oils out there, as it uses Base IV type oil to create the bulk of the oil, where as most others only a Base III, the difference being still mineral but out through a better cleaning process essentially. Where as base IV are wholey synthesized paraffins, never actually starting from a mineral oil.

RP is also a base IV I'm pretty sure, hence why the price, also hence why Castrol sports edge 10w60 isn't cheap.

The 60 in the oil will quieten down the valve train after warm up as well, additionally if you drive your car hard, or have had it tuned, or have a cam or anything that essentially means it isn't driven like stock at close to 100degC (which is the rough optimal operating temp) the usual 30 oil doesn't provide as much protection as the 60 will, especially when you start to have fun with it making the oil thin out very fast..

Castrols additives in the Sports edge are also rather good, and have good cleaning properties and able to suspend micro particles rather well from what I've seen in my own oil..

But if you wanna spend the biiig dollars, f....k RP off, and f....k Castrol off, hit up the guys at Mainlube.. You definitely won't be dissapointed, however depends how deep your pockets are at $38/Litre and only comes in 5L/10L/20L drums.. take your pick :) it does however come with a free oil analysis every 10thou to give you a run down of what type of wear your engine is under going, if the additives are still at optimal levels etc etc ie meaning you can continue to use the oil further..

On another side note with Mainlube, they also sell MagFilters, at $150 odd for a magnet belt that fits your LS type filter perfectly and DEFINITELY cleans the oil up rather well, surprising how much the oil filter doesn't pick up.. I will be ordering a magfilter in the commingle future.. but probably continue using castrol for a lot longer. Until I cam it or something, then mainlube.

- DrZ

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
And just to make sure its clarified, the magfilter is obviously reusable, as it sits in the outside of the usual filter anything that makes it through the filter then gets stuck to the side of the filter, it uses an array of large rare earth metals.. you could make one yourself out of lots of HDD magnets or go to a magnets shop, but these things are already made in a pretty little semicircle an will cost you about the same anyhow..

- DrZ

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Thanks for the replies, my mate is a mechanic and said he thought 10-60 was too thick, but he has never worked on an LS1.

The car is stock currently, but a full exhaust, OTR CAI and mafless, will be on its way soon.

I drive it pretty normal with the occasional 0-90 on from the lights on the pacific highway.