Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

red 202 Suddenly will not idle

Bailey_MM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden red 202
Yesterday, I had just finished working on the car (i had not touched the engine bay, it was all suspension for getting ready for the pits on thursday), had pulled it back out of the garage to pull it back in straight, when it cut out. It wasn't a splutter-y slow cut, it was almost instant.

After this the engine wouldn't even fire, so i cleaned the spark plugs, took the carb (it is a stromberg 23-3091) apart and cleaned, and checked that the spark plugs were indeed working. After doing all these things, the engine now splutters when starting, but doesn't last more than a second or two.

Ive now bought a new coil and checked the dizzy, i have also taken the fuel hose and put in a full separate petrol tank without the fuel filter, and have cleaned the carby again.

Im out of ideas+patience and need a little bit of guidance of what to do next, i was running flawlessly until now. attached should be a video of it struggling to start if that helps diagnose.

Cheers for any help

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Check the voltage at the Coil,
Clean and re-adjust your points,
Check that its actually getting fuel,
Spray some "Start You Bastard" in the Carby.

Not much can go wrong with a 202.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
As per the suggestions offered above and in addition, also replace the condenser (capacitor) in the distributor. When they go they behave a bit like your symptoms.

Bailey_MM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden red 202
As per the suggestions offered above and in addition, also replace the condenser (capacitor) in the distributor. When they go they behave a bit like your symptoms.
This was the trick, thank god for that, I was thinking something had gone on the inside

Bailey_MM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden red 202
Thanks a lot for the help gents

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Cheers. Glad we could help.