Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline 75K service, new battery - higher CCA is that a problem?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
She’s just had her 75K service, and I asked for a new battery, just because it’s hit the four year mark and I’ve had battery issues in past cars.

I asked for the exact same battery (in writing), but on inspection I see the battery is totally different in terms of capacity.

Old one was ACDelco ACH 92456804 with a CCA Rating of 460.
New one is ACDelco S57220 with a CCA of 680.

Question is - is this a problem? From the research I’ve done this suggests the battery may not last as long, and higher CCA is not required in warmer climates, and for a V8 which requires less power to start.

Should I worry? I really did just want the same battery as original.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Nope, extra cold cranking capacity is nothing to worry about. You can condition & top up your battery with a trickle charger at least once a month for longer battery service life.

For example: https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0
Get them online or from eBay suppliers. Mine is 12 years old and still going strong.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As a battery rep once said to me.....Having a higher CCA battery fitted than what was fitted from factory will be covered by warranty, but if the CCA is lower, throw the warranty out the window.....

This all came about when I bought a new battery 2 or 3 years ago for my VC.....I asked for a specific CCA rating and the place I bought it from tried to say to me, because the CCA rating was bigger than the factory CCA rating my warranty will be void. So I called in the rep and they put the place back into their place

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
When my car was having issues, and it still is, they first put it down to the battery due to it only having 460CCA and said that the CCA (460) was too low for the car.

They said that the correct battery size for the car needs to be above 660CCA.

Completely up to you.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Going up in Cold Cranking Amps is absolutely no issue whatsoever. It's like saying 3 spare tyres will hurt the vehicle, no they won't, you'll still have 2 spares in case one goes flat.

Another analogy is it's like having a 15 Amp power socket for your welder in your shed and only plugging a 60 watt light globe in to it. The globe will only require a 10 amp supply but won't draw anymore just because it's plugged into a 15 Amp socket.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My Territory used to eat batteries for a snack, about every 18 months .
Found out from the Ford forums that the standard battery capacity is nowhere near enough, and that a 660CCA fixes the problem, which I haven't had since fitting one 4+ years ago. So, if they can fix a Ford, a Holden should not be worry.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Why change it yet? VE/VF batteries last more than 6 years in the boot.