Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline 75K service, new battery - higher CCA is that a problem?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Paul Cordingley, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
    She’s just had her 75K service, and I asked for a new battery, just because it’s hit the four year mark and I’ve had battery issues in past cars.

I asked for the exact same battery (in writing), but on inspection I see the battery is totally different in terms of capacity.

Old one was ACDelco ACH 92456804 with a CCA Rating of 460.
    New one is ACDelco S57220 with a CCA of 680.

Question is - is this a problem? From the research I’ve done this suggests the battery may not last as long, and higher CCA is not required in warmer climates, and for a V8 which requires less power to start.

Should I worry? I really did just want the same battery as original.

2. stooge

stooge Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
  3. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    Nope, extra cold cranking capacity is nothing to worry about. You can condition & top up your battery with a trickle charger at least once a month for longer battery service life.

For example: https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0
    Get them online or from eBay suppliers. Mine is 12 years old and still going strong.

4. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    As a battery rep once said to me.....Having a higher CCA battery fitted than what was fitted from factory will be covered by warranty, but if the CCA is lower, throw the warranty out the window.....

This all came about when I bought a new battery 2 or 3 years ago for my VC.....I asked for a specific CCA rating and the place I bought it from tried to say to me, because the CCA rating was bigger than the factory CCA rating my warranty will be void. So I called in the rep and they put the place back into their place

5. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    Thanks everyone.

TTubrag likes this.
  6. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    When my car was having issues, and it still is, they first put it down to the battery due to it only having 460CCA and said that the CCA (460) was too low for the car.

They said that the correct battery size for the car needs to be above 660CCA.

Completely up to you.

7. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    Going up in Cold Cranking Amps is absolutely no issue whatsoever. It's like saying 3 spare tyres will hurt the vehicle, no they won't, you'll still have 2 spares in case one goes flat.

Another analogy is it's like having a 15 Amp power socket for your welder in your shed and only plugging a 60 watt light globe in to it. The globe will only require a 10 amp supply but won't draw anymore just because it's plugged into a 15 Amp socket.

8. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    My Territory used to eat batteries for a snack, about every 18 months .
    Found out from the Ford forums that the standard battery capacity is nowhere near enough, and that a 660CCA fixes the problem, which I haven't had since fitting one 4+ years ago. So, if they can fix a Ford, a Holden should not be worry.

9. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    Why change it yet? VE/VF batteries last more than 6 years in the boot.

10. RossK

RossK Member

Members Ride:
    VE11 SV6
    Agree, our 2011 VE is still on the original.

Anthony121 likes this.
  11. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    Why did I change it? Out of paranoia and nothing more to be honest.

My previous car was a Mitsubishi 380. I loved that car. However, it developed a severe problem with the automatic transmission. It would violently slam into gear when taking off, to the point where I was scared of hitting the car in front of me when taking off at light. I do mean violently slam, it was terrifying.

Took it to a mechanic who told me that the transmission needed a re-build, and it would cost around $4K.

I changed the battery instead - I can’t remember the circumstances around why - but there was no problem at all with cranking the car, no obvious problems. One $200 battery later and the transmission was back to buttery smooth and went for years until we sold it, still working perfectly at that time.

I also know of other cars which went screwy, but again otherwise cranked perfectly. I know a good battery is critical in a modern car, and 4 years seems like a decent life to swap it out and keep the Redline purring.

12. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Had similar issues with our subbie. was ex-demo so they probably chucked in what ever battery. Had no issues for three years then started to have some minor electrical issues and then all of a sudden not starting, taking for ever to charge and then losing all the juice within a day. Went to auto elec and they said it was a fair way under what it was supposed to have. Got a new battery which died next day as well and was replaced and been perfect since.

13. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    Heat, cold and insufficient charging is what kills car batteries. They get heat in the engine bay, cold if parked outside over winter and insufficient charging if not driven for at least 20 to 30 minutes after an engine start. They typically die slowly and you may not even be aware of it. One cell can be dead and the battery still 'appears' to operate as normal. But voltage and CCA can be low and that's when cars can start to do strange/unexplainable things.
    In the boot, a battery will last longer, if only because it's not exposed to engine heat. They'll last longer again if well maintained.

14. stooge

stooge Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    I have had bad batteries in brand new vehicles from the dealer because they were not maintained properly on the lot or were defective to start with so i replace them in all vehicles as soon as i get them with century batteries.

15. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I had a dodge battery a few years ago. Alarm started going off in the middle of the night. Was told it was the ECU and was $1000 plus to get it sorted. For some reason i switched the battery to the aux using the overide switch and the issue went away while the alarm was going off. Funny thing was battery load tested as fine, just a few days earlier. I then just run the aux for a week or two before buying a new battery. 100% agree modern cars and batteries are funny things. I recently also had an issue with the VR ute. Was running rough on initial start up, for first start of the day. Turns out battery again was just lowish on charge. Online diagnosis told me several options none of which were the battery. 6hrs on the trickle charger and never had the problem since.

TTubrag likes this.
  16. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    i was lucky to get much more than 3 or 4 years in my VE. and that was parked in a garage overnight, and undercover during the day.
    i guess brand probably plays into that as well.

17. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    My VE was over 6 years old when I sold it with original battery. 1st was over 4 years when that sold. Overnight garage stays but the occasional bush trip left out in the cold. I use the radio a lot too sitting in the car without engine running.

18. ChRiDDa

ChRiDDa Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS-Z Sportwagon
    Nothing to be concerned about at all

The S57220 is higher capacity battery usually fitted to police vehicles

I’ve just fitted one to my VE V8

Paul Cordingley likes this.