Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline series 2 possible rwhp? And recommendations/ suggestions

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
As far as pleasure goes, most performance enthusiasts don't get much pleasure driving the "slower" variant as the Mustang guys discovered, the 10 speed auto Mustang smokes a manual on the drag strip and a race circuit.
Enjoying going for a drive on the road isn't the same thing as partaking in an activity which is about beating everyone else.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Enjoying going for a drive on the road isn't the same thing as partaking in an activity which is about beating everyone else.
Very true, one can get you a fine and possible loss of licence while the other can get you an award and an applause when standing on the podium :p

PS: and just like there are crap autos and great autos, there are some real crap manuals out their in auto lane. Not much fun dealing with long gear lever throw, imprecise linkages and poor clutch weighting/feel, else a “three on the tree” would be considered a drivers car :p Having said that, I still like “good” manuals (just can’t drive one for knee and shoulder issues :confused:) :)

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I enjoy driving any car that's mechanically right and to be honest, I didn't enjoy driving my old GenF 1 manual R8 much and wanted to fix it. The gear lever is too far forward for me, the gear ratio's are awful and the massive rpm drop into 6th is ridiculous. I actually prefer manual V8's and the iconic nature of them and would never have bought the auto Redline Ute I have if there was an equivalent manual for sale at the time. But having said that, the auto has much better ratios than the manual, a better ratio 6th and what needed fixing for me was lifting the upshift points at light to mid throttle easily done with HP Tuners. The paddle shift is slow compared to a DSG, but it's liveable and it's faster off the lights than thrashing a notey exhaust manual to keep up, or discreetly smoke someone to get in the right lane. FGX manual Falcon's with the TR6060 box have a better shifter position and shorter throw than a Commodore.

I've never owned an auto V8 prior to the Redline Ute since my first V8 (HQ Monaro) 1978, and even my wife's last Commodore, a VE SS wagon was a manual, but I'd have to say with an upshift tweak, the auto's ok, good ratios and shifts well for a slush box and certainly isn't unenjoyable to drive!

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I find the 6060 not great. Second gear is notchy until you warm the trans up. Third can be hard to select as it feels like it's in the wrong position, so you quite often second guess yourself and can go for the wrong gear. The 6060 really takes some getting used to and six months on I still struggle at times. A Whiteline kit might help and is on my list but in terms of driveability I think the 6 speed V8 auto would be better, especially with some 3.45s.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I've never owned an auto V8 prior to the Redline Ute since my first V8 (HQ Monaro) 1978, and even my wife's last Commodore, a VE SS wagon was a manual, but I'd have to say with an upshift tweak, the auto's ok, good ratios and shifts well for a slush box and certainly isn't unenjoyable to drive!
Do you know if the MY17 trans. program is retrofittable to earlier versions of the 6L80e?
I agree with your thoughts, manual upshifts are a bit leisurely, but everything else is almost perfect.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I find the 6060 not great. Second gear is notchy until you warm the trans up. Third can be hard to select as it feels like it's in the wrong position, so you quite often second guess yourself and can go for the wrong gear. The 6060 really takes some getting used to and six months on I still struggle at times. A Whiteline kit might help and is on my list but in terms of driveability I think the 6 speed V8 auto would be better, especially with some 3.45s.
Never tried one myself but apparently aftermarket shifters like rip shift, cube speed etc make shifting these boxes more pleasant and accurate

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Never tried one myself but apparently aftermarket shifters like rip shift, cube speed etc make shifting these boxes more pleasant and accurate
Same apparently with Whiteline bush kit. It will be interesting to see if the claims are true. As a box they are strong as an ox but usability IMHO is pretty much archaic, and needs addressing.....

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Do you know if the MY17 trans. program is retrofittable to earlier versions of the 6L80e?
I agree with your thoughts, manual upshifts are a bit leisurely, but everything else is almost perfect.
Yes, I believe so. Probably best done in HP tuners where you can compare the 2 calibrations and make the required changes. The 2016 HSV SV Black Maloo (last of the 340's) calibration is the same as the late 2017 SSV Redline Utes. You could also reprogram the trans with a corresponding 2017 VIN with SPS as the trans program isn't VIN locked or specific, won't throw fault codes with an unmatched VIN.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if ur just after some different gear changes, pressures, time ect u can just get a trans tune as u can do pretty much anything with the way they operate so u can personalize it

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Same apparently with Whiteline bush kit. It will be interesting to see if the claims are true. As a box they are strong as an ox but usability IMHO is pretty much archaic, and needs addressing.....
I've run aftermarket bush kits in pretty much all of my manual transmission cars over the last 20 odd years

Shift feel is greatly improved, although there can be some added NVH, typically dependant on the car maje and models, and not necessarily the duro of the bush