Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reducing exhaust fumes from cammed L77.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
I had some VF SS cats that I gave to a mate, he then cut the ends to suit some 3" pipe and he said it passed an emissions test with a camed LS when he was getting it regoed/engineered
wow thats interesting

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I had some VF SS cats that I gave to a mate, he then cut the ends to suit some 3" pipe and he said it passed an emissions test with a camed LS when he was getting it regoed/engineered
If any of this is altered on a VF Commodore (below)
  • No alterations to the engine's camshaft, inlet manifold, carburettor/fuel injectors, engine control unit or catalytic converter are permitted.
  • Airflow meters must not be disconnected.
  • Modified or aftermarket plenum chambers or throttle bodies are not permitted.
  • Extra or larger fuel injectors or variable fuel pressure regulators are not permitted.
The vehicle has to undergo an IM240 drive cycle emission test at the cost of around $2000 in SA. Typically, a cammed engine won't pass and, in most cases, the cheaper option is removing the cam and refitting the stock exhaust manifolds and cats to get the car registered.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If any of this is altered on a VF Commodore (below)
  • No alterations to the engine's camshaft, inlet manifold, carburettor/fuel injectors, engine control unit or catalytic converter are permitted.
  • Airflow meters must not be disconnected.
  • Modified or aftermarket plenum chambers or throttle bodies are not permitted.
  • Extra or larger fuel injectors or variable fuel pressure regulators are not permitted.
The vehicle has to undergo an IM240 drive cycle emission test at the cost of around $2000 in SA. Typically, a cammed engine won't pass and, in most cases, the cheaper option is removing the cam and refitting the stock exhaust manifolds and cats to get the car registered.
There was a VE or VF SS owner in SA a while back who got a Regency defect. The car had to be basically returned to stock and anything else that could be picked on sorted before he could get the defect lifted.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
There was a VE or VF SS owner in SA a while back who got a Regency defect. The car had to be basically returned to stock and anything else that could be picked on sorted before he could get the defect lifted.

An ex-boss of mine bought a brand new VE HSV way back in 2011 (or there abouts)

He had the exhaust done, tune blah blah, only to be an idiot and get busted doing a burnout....

The cops impounded the car and found the dyno sheet in the glove box.

Defected it and I heard it set him back $10K to get it passed as it had to go back completely stock....

And that was in 2011

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, I don't know the rules in Tas like I do in SA. But I never draw any unwanted attention because of what it may take should I get a yellow sticker.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Regency is the only place in SA who do full rego and compliance inspections, and it's best to take a car in as stock as possible otherwise they'll defect everything they can. Regency inspections are painful in most cases unless a car is in good mechanical condition and rock stock!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Lucky I live in NSW, as long as you come in under the emissions and have an engineer sign off on your mods your golden

I believe Melbourne is the same, a guy I know put a LS1 in a R34 Skyline, he actually tuned it between the IM240, the guy doing the testing was happy for that to happen

Meh

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Lucky I live in NSW, as long as you come in under the emissions and have an engineer sign off on your mods your golden
The difference in SA, is the cops rarely defect cars for full inspections unless they're radically modified, or you're caught doing something stupid. Your typical hot Commodore, lowered, wheel and tyres, camshaft and exhaust they don't target for compliance much at all. Minor defects like worn tyres, blown headlight globe etc. if they write up a notice, can be rectified and the defect removed at a police station.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline

I believe there was also a VF in SA some years back that had a magnuson supercharger that got defected. The tuner put standard cats and exhaust on it, and it passed the relevant emissions test .. Can't remember if it had a cam or not.

The problem with putting standard cats on supercharged engines is they can burn out. Even my aftermarket cats sit pretty far back the exhaust system, , which I'm told is for this reason.
. A mate had a Harrop stage 2 pack done on his LSA GTS. the tuner gutted out the standard cats and left just the housing, as trey had a few previous cases of cats burning up . it was fumier than my cammed and blown LS3