Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reducing exhaust fumes from cammed L77.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
My car is currently at Dale Paterson Motorsport getting the tune done.

Getting the car back on Saturday. Hopefully Dale can transform it into something a bit better with less fumes and better range from a tank of fuel.

Will be interesting to see the before and after dyno results too.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
My car is currently at Dale Paterson Motorsport getting the tune done.
Dale Paterson was one of the first to have a good play with Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT'S and the 6.4 litre Hemi engine and I called him back in 2015 as we had customer with one who wanted to modify it a bit. Dale was pretty switched on with these and very informative and he was certainly one of the better people I've spoken with about tuning!

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Dale Paterson was one of the first to have a good play with Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT'S and the 6.4 litre Hemi engine and I called him back in 2015 as we had customer with one who wanted to modify it a bit. Dale was pretty switched on with these and very informative and he was certainly one of the better people I've spoken with about tuning!

That's a good vote of confidence coming from you, Rev.
It's hard to find a good tuner that knows what they're talking about. After speaking with him a few times over the phone, he came across as a knowledgeable individual who also takes the time to explain to his customers how he's going to tackle the job without adding any extra bullshit or upselling at any stage.

Can't wait to see what he's able to do.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
That's a good vote of confidence coming from you, Rev.
It's hard to find a good tuner that knows what they're talking about. After speaking with him a few times over the phone, he came across as a knowledgeable individual who also takes the time to explain to his customers how he's going to tackle the job without adding any extra bullshit or upselling at any stage.

Can't wait to see what he's able to do.
Don't forget to ask for the dyno sheets before & after, before he tunes it.
Otherwise there maybe no dyno sheets?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Don't forget to ask for the dyno sheets before & after, before he tunes it.
Otherwise there maybe no dyno sheets?

I picked up my car from DPMS Saturday morning with a before and after dyno sheet.

Dale was able to;

1: tune out the pig rooting where it was pushing on the brakes,

2: cleaned up the idle so it no longer sounds like it's going to stall all the time,

3: significantly reduced the fuel/exhaust smell,

4: got rid of a flat spot under 2000rpm,

5: retuned the auto so it doesn't always try to select the highest gear under all circumstances,

and 6: picked up 11rwk and
about 20nm throughout the rev range.

He's a very knowledgeable bloke and walked me through the process of what he did and why.

I wish I'd taken the car to him in the first place.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
This afternoon I did one 0-100 run using a drag run app.
The best 0-100 prior to the new tune was 4.5. That was in sports mode with traction control off, esp on.

Today's run, I left it in normal auto mode with traction control and esp on.
It ran 4.1 with traction control kicking in.

The difference a good tuner makes is substantial.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
He's a very knowledgeable bloke and walked me through the process of what he did and why.

I wish I'd taken the car to him in the first place.
Good result! I can pick the dribblers pretty easily, the guys sprouting nonsense who don't know what they're talking about, but Dale gave me a good impression that he was talking from genuine hands-on experience and not pumping himself up as many of these tuners do.

In the early days of HP Tuners, we hired a supposed guru to tune a VX SS with a camshaft on our dyno and the car was running at 13.9:1 air/fuel at full throttle. I told him it's way too lean and richen it up to about 12.8 and he told me that adding fuel creates more heat and could blow the engine. I gave him $50 and told him to nick off, he was a complete drongo!

Last edited:

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I should add that I'm no longer running the 22" simmons. It's now sitting on hsv gen-f Senator rims with 275 rears. But no doubt the car does feel much quicker now after it hooks up.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I should add that I'm no longer running the 22" simmons. It's now sitting on hsv gen-f Senator rims with 275 rears. But no doubt the car does feel much quicker now after it hooks up.
That’ll help!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
In the early days of HP Tuners, we hired a supposed guru to tune a VX SS with a camshaft on our dyno and the car was running at 13.9:1 air/fuel at full throttle. I told him it's way too lean and richen it up to about 12.8 and he told me that adding fuel creates more heat and could blow the engine. I gave him $50 and told him to nick off, he was a complete drongo!
i hope u told him it wasnt a diesel...