Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote start and seat heaters...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not sure what I'm doing wrong?
I have 'checked the box' in Mylink Config to turn on the seat heaters when starting remotely.
It just doesn't happen... Get in the car, press the ignition button, then press the seat heater button to get them working...

Is there a trick to this?(I realise there are a lot of members north of here that are probably chuckling right now)

Any advice?

2019-08-26 20.59.43.jpg

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Just went down to the shed and ticked the box (mine are normally off).

Didn't appear to work with remote start either - at least the switch indicator lights weren't on.

I have a somewhat different prob with seat heaters in that they randomly activate (only on long trips) eg last trip away pass side activated 3 times and drivers once in 7000kms. Obviously not a big deal but annoying in that it's not what they should be doing.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I think they'll only come on with a remote start if they were switched on when you last turned the engine off. I'm pretty sure this also applies to the air conditioning.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Maybe try turn off/on personalization by driver and see if it has any effect as i have found that setting can screw with reloading settings on start.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Pretty sure it’s got something to do with climate control temps and outside temps.

So if you have climate set to like 25c and the outside temp is say 5c the seats should turn on.

I think that’s also why @Poor old Dad yours twirls turn on randomly. Was the passenger side climate set higher then the drivers side?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Pretty sure it’s got something to do with climate control temps and outside temps.

So if you have climate set to like 25c and the outside temp is say 5c the seats should turn on.

I think that’s also why @Poor old Dad yours twirls turn on randomly. Was the passenger side climate set higher then the drivers side?
Yes that is correct. Just like the heated mirrors will turn on once the outside temp is around 2 degrees. A/C will also work with remote start on hot days but as soon as you hit the start button, the settings when you last left the vehicle kick in.

The heated seats work better if someone is sitting on them. try both the drivers and passenger seats while driving without a passenger and you will notice the passenger seat doesn't feel warm. if someone is sitting there it becomes very hot.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks for the replies and advice.
Have never actually turned the climate control off, its usually set to 22 degrees in both zones.
Whilst driving at night, the(drivers) seat heater will be on, and only turn off when I shut everything off.
It usually gets cold enough around here to see the ice warning message on the DIC most nights.
I'll have a play with the 'personalisation by driver' setting as suggested by @stooge.

Might even get the owners hand book out and give it a read...:cool:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Thanks for the replies and advice.
Have never actually turned the climate control off, its usually set to 22 degrees in both zones.
Whilst driving at night, the(drivers) seat heater will be on, and only turn off when I shut everything off.
It usually gets cold enough around here to see the ice warning message on the DIC most nights.
I'll have a play with the 'personalisation by driver' setting as suggested by @stooge.

Might even get the owners hand book out and give it a read...:cool:

I don't think the switches actually have any lights displaying in remote start. Remember the car is useless until you hit the start button and all remainder of the car switches to life.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V

I mentioned the seat heaters at each service since new (or at least our first trip away) in 2016 but was told "no code; nothing we can do"

Service before last was told to bring it in when the weather is colder.

Took it in June and was then told they'd been in contact with GMH and "it's a known issue, BCM? reset will fix it"

Road trip in July got to Roma (from Bris) 6 hours away (so about lunchtime). Temp at Roma was probably 25deg. Climate control always on and always both set at 22deg. Pass side seat heater activates.

Next occasion was around Katherine - pass side - same deal pleasant temp outside.

3rd time was drivers side on the way home. I forget where - possibly around Mount Isa - but again not cold outside during day.

Pass side again somewhere closer to home. Same conditions as before.

Always the same deal, a few times each trip but that was the first time the drivers side was activated.

It's hardly a big deal and I can live with it but a bit irritating that something is not right and can't be fixed.