Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing foam from headliner

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I used a wire brush and got the old orange foam off in a few min.. To get it out takes 10 min and then clean up job..

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Upholsterer supplied a very similar light grey material to what was originally in the car.
The original had a diamond shape weave that stretches to the shape of the lining. The new material had the same weave but slightly finer and came out of Germany. Supposedly the ducks nuts and more durable than original.

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
I have recovered the headlining, looks fantastic.

I bought the material from Nolans in Oakleigh (about $40 for 2.5mt) and 2 cans of spray adhesive from Bursons. I did take pics of the completed job and thought I had uploaded them, but when I went to link to them, I found they weren't there (photobucket) and seeing I am crunching this out on my laptop which doesn't have those images, I can't upload them so I will have to wait until I am back at my main computer.

"Stay tuned for next exciting episode"

Cheers, Jet. :beer chug:

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
I wish i had seen this a few months back, mine was a pain and i ended up using a razor blade. My mates corolla however we used a scotch scrubbing pad on a drill, got it done in no time.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Nice write up, you really went all out with the foam and deadener.

Thanks mate yep worth doing, worth doing right. The main reason I insulated my lining with the 5mm formshield was to prevent heat soak in the cabin (akin to insulating a house I guess, cool in summer warm in winter). Secondly was sound deadening & resonation, my tunes are very important to me & I'm installing another new system ATM

Thanks for your advice. I checked your blog, very well written with good clear pics. I'll go out today and round up some of the "sticky stuff", still got some work to do removing the old foam. I might give Nolans a ring on Monday to see about the fabric.

Cool mate glad I could help, looking forward to seeing the pics, BTW don't be concerned with the material letting go if you applied the Kwik grip as described & insulation is definitely good insurance against this happening

i do the wire brush (brush on handle) style of foam removal.

100% the way to go as FXST01 & mr calais 5.0 has said as well, the only way to go IMO

I have recovered the headlining, looks fantastic.

I bought the material from Nolans in Oakleigh (about $40 for 2.5mt) and 2 cans of spray adhesive from Bursons. I did take pics of the completed job and thought I had uploaded them, but when I went to link to them, I found they weren't there (photobucket) and seeing I am crunching this out on my laptop which doesn't have those images, I can't upload them so I will have to wait until I am back at my main computer.

This is good news, I notice you have been modding your VN a fair bit as of late, good to see some fresh threads like this in the VN-VP section!

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
This is good news, I notice you have been modding your VN a fair bit as of late, good to see some fresh threads like this in the VN-VP section!

I will start a new thread and list the jobs I've done, with pics.

VP~ Rachyz

RACHYZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5l V8
Hey there i did the headlining in my VP.. i went to spotlight and got some fluffy black fabric.. got hubby to steal some contact glue from work and bobs ya uncle... With the foam i just used a hard brush to get it off mind you it was pretty much coming off on its own.... It does help if someone else is there when you are laying the fabric.. :)

VP~ Rachyz

RACHYZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5l V8
I also retrimmed the door trims of my HJ Ute same way :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I also retrimmed the door trims of my HJ Ute same way :)

You need to host the image first and then you can post it. JC have their own limited hosting here, just look in your profile under "albums"