Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

REPAIRING STEERING WHEEL

Jimma61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute
I’ve got a steering wheel that has lost it’s leather it’s peeling off but it also has become loose off the metal has anyone injected epoxy or glue into it? What have you used

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Is that the only thing that you need to sort out on your car?

Go to Kmart and buy a plain steering wheel cover. Amazing value. Fits Holden VS, VT and VX perfectly. I have put on all three of our family of Commodores.
41844083-1-f.jpg

They are leather covered, they slip on with a bit of effort.

The steering wheel will feel firm and tight. Also thicker and sportier. I bought a plain grey one that matches the interior trim. I forget it is on the steering wheel until I get in another car and notice how thin a standard steering wheel is.

Last edited:

Jimma61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute
Just go to the wreckers & get another one that is in better condition.

But I don’t want to have to mess around with air bags I heard people have used epoxy and injected it into steering wheel to make it firm again and I’ve got new leather to stitch onto the wheel

Jimma61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute
Is that the only thing that you need to sort out on your car?

Go to Kmart and buy a plain steering wheel cover. Amazing value. Fits Holden VS, VT and VX perfectly. I have put on all three of our family of Commodores.
41844083-1-f.jpg

They are leather covered, they slip on with a bit of effort.

The steering wheel will feel firm and tight. Also thicker and sportier. I bought a plain grey one that matches the interior trim. I forget it is on the steering wheel until I get in another car and notice how thin a standard steering wheel is.

I’ve got a new leather to stitch onto the steering wheel I’ve heard people using epoxy to harden up the wheel again it’s for a rwc

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
You can use a big ass syringe, fill it up with decent adhesive.... Inject through the stitching area, or inconspicuous spot.... Then wriggle the loose area to distribute adhesive......I've done it myself several times..... Some mechanics / roady places do it too......

Last edited:

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
But I don’t want to have to mess around with air bags I heard people have used epoxy and injected it into steering wheel to make it firm again and I’ve got new leather to stitch onto the wheel
I took my plastic one off and upgraded to a genuine leather one. No need to screw with airbags. Change the whole wheel and the air bag goes with it.

Jimma61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute
You can use a big ass syringe, fill it up with decent adhesive.... Inject through the stitching area, or inconspicuous spot.... Then wriggle the loose area to distribute adhesive......I've done it myself several times..... Some mechanics / roady places do it too......

Cheers mate that’s what I’m thinking of doing it has no leather cover on it atm as it has peeled of it’s the foam showing atm and I can see the factory hole they used

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
Repaired mine with a 30mm syringe for horses using RC aeroplane foam glue and it did well then latter tracked down a new old stock wheel.

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Fixed my VU steering wheel in which the rubber had become loose on the metal wheel (usually at the top of the wheel where the sun does its damage) . Looked on EBAY & bought steering wheel repair kit. This contained the correct glue & a syringe which u inject through the rubber in the affected loose area. Worked great. Now I use a windshield sunscreen to keep the sun off my interior so the sun cannot do its nasty work.