Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace Engine

Stuckneedhelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 SV6 Sportswagon
Hey everyone
So I have a 2008 SV6 bout 180k's on the clock - engine started making a knocking noise while turning in either direction no noise while driving straight.
Anyway had her checked out by moblie mechanic he said timing chains which is common he told me - cool I thought!
Sent her off to holden servicing department for that very reason. Get a call today from them saying that the engine in my car is a VZ and is not compatiable and needs to be replaced with a VE! So thats what im not understanding - What is the difference with these motors couldnt they just fix the problem - is a engine swap out necessary!
PLEASE NEED ADVICE :)

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
You shouldn't have a 2005 or 2006 VZ engine in your 2008 VE, to start with, because it's not an optional engine offered by the manufacturer for your model (VE), unless you have a mod plate. Which is probably why Holden wants to put the correct model in it...

Where did you buy you car?

Stuckneedhelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 SV6 Sportswagon
It was a private sale - how do you check if it has a mod plate???

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
VZ wagons (Alloytec powered) were still being produced June/July of 2007 with EXACTLY the same engine as that used in the VE. Suggest the Mechanic/Workshop is 'grasping at straws'. Only realistic suggestion is that someone did an engine swap !!! If Holden are keen to 'swap' the engine are they also willing/offering to do the job at THEIR expense ?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Everything about this sounds suss. Your engine shouldn't be making any different noises in relation to steering. Some load noise on the steering pump is normal but not engine knocks. If your mechanic found an issue with your timing chains while he was under the bonnet, so be it. It's now up to you whether you wish to repair it. Don't listen to Holden bout a replacement engine! That's ridiculous.

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
I am driving my 2007 sv6 with stretched timing chain, no problem. Although lack of power so i ll be doing the chain soon. There is a workshop who does this for around $1200 supplied and fitter, i guess not genuine parts but will do the job. If you want genuine might cost 200-300$ more, or you can buy the kit $700approx and get the mechanic to do it. Big job but not big enough to throw the engine out if you know what i mean

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Does the engine number match that on rego papers? If it does at least it's legal engine for the car. Especially if it's earlier 08, timing chain issues of the 06 and 07 cars are still there. With the knocking noise if it's internal in the engine, maybe it's oil pressure/ pickup related, and it's sometimes said that the oil pump may be the cause of timing chain wear. If the engine is knocking against something in the engine bay perhaps engine mounts aren't good. I'd get it away from Holden dealer, maybe post up where you are located (I can see Qld), and perhaps someone can suggest reliable mechanic in your area. Replacing engine due to timing chain sounds ridiculous if the car has been running fine for sometime, and has only developed this problem recently.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
if it was me, i would just get the chains done from a local mechanic. Alot of waisted $ for little output fitting the original SV6 engine in

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
yeah and also if you spend money on buying an engine from a wrecker, you get 3 months warranty max, what happens if after 3 months you get the error for timing chain again? Changing the chain now on your current motor will give you the assurance that chain is new and will got another 80,000km if not more.

Stuckneedhelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 SV6 Sportswagon
So it turns out the engine has been swapped out as the numbers on the engine and paperwork are different I actually have a 2005 VZ motor in my VE - holden are still conviced that they are not compatiable....would it really hurt to fix the current motor and hope there is no further issues with no warranty on the work OR do i just get the new motor put in with a 2 year warranty and a difference of around 4k in cost?