Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace Engine

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
So it turns out the engine has been swapped out as the numbers on the engine and paperwork are different I actually have a 2005 VZ motor in my VE - holden are still conviced that they are not compatiable....would it really hurt to fix the current motor and hope there is no further issues with no warranty on the work OR do i just get the new motor put in with a 2 year warranty and a difference of around 4k in cost?

Well, the QLD law says this:

"Replacement engines that are offered by the manufacturer as an optional engine for that model of vehicle may be fitted without specific approval. For such conversions, all components, including suspension and brakes, must be identical to those of a vehicle originally produced with the optional engine."

If this specific VZ engine model is different from the one normally fitted in a VE, then you could get in a lot of troubles (defected by the Police, or claims refused by your insurance) because it would be considered as a major modification.

And this is probably the case because the 2005 VZ was 190kW, whereas the 2008 VE was 195kW.
That would be kinda stupid to get in trouble because of a less powerful engine, eh.

Also, you have absolutely no idea how many Ks the engine actually has since the dash only reflects the Ks from the old engine + what the 2005 engine has traveled since the swap, and no service history either.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Sounds like the previous owner replaced the engine, but didn't tell anyone of the change. The numbers on the engine should match with the rego details of the car, but obviously not.
The roadworthy inspector should have picked up on that when it was inspected before you got it transferred into your name.

If the engine you have in the car is the same as the original or an optional one for that model then its all fine and legal, change the numbers over and all good.
And after a quick look it seems the alloytec was still available in your car so having an earlier model alloytec is still the same thing as long as all the pollution gear is the same.

For example it is perfectly legal to put a 1995 VS ecotec motor into a 2000 VX with an ecotec as it's effectively the same engine, you can't put an ecotec into a VZ though on as they came with a different motor.

I'd contact the previous owner and see if you can figure out what was going on. If a dealer then they shouldn't have sold it without the correct engine number on the paperwork.

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
Still done see a reason to spend 5grand plus on a ve commodore whice drove 180k if yo know what i mean. Alloytechs are pretty much same just get the chains done and sell the car if you can afford to get a VF SV6, going cheap