Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace tappets in VR

Jezmont

Jez
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport Z Series
Hi

Hoping someone can help with a couple of questions...

1. The engine is tick tick ticking away. I want to replace the tappets myself, if I can, as I know it costs an arm and a leg to get it done for you. Does anyone have any idea how or could give me some instructions??

2. Today when driving normally after about 20 minutes, no issues, then I hammered it and put foot to floor only for the length of one short street, then when I idled at the lights the ticking was louder, when I accelerated a touch you can hear the ticking get louder (and faster) the more throttle you give. I stopped the car for 5 minutes and drove off again with no sign of that same sound... Any ideas??

Cheers!
Jez

6 shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VR Executive S2/ Kawasaki zxr250
There friggin easy to do just time consuming. by tappets id say u mean lifters?

well you take off the rocker cover and get the rockers and pushrods outa the way
then next take off the intake manifold and theres two plastic things each side of the motor where the pushrods sit in and unbolt them then just pull out each lifter one by one

but before that id say give a go at an engine flush, oil change and some lifter free additive and see what goes
because they could be clogged by some old oil
its normaly that which makes them tick or there damaged normaly by running too low on oil

Shambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series III CV8 & VE 3.0 Omega
I'd be saying check the oil as well. Not 100% sure but the lifters / tappets are self adjusting I think. As they are hydraulic they need a good supply of clean oil to work correctly. I would give it an oil & filter change and go from there.

Last edited:

Jezmont

Jez
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport Z Series
Thanks for that, gives me more of an idea as to what to do.

Yeah it has plenty of oil, and the noise doesnt hamper the engine ability, its just slightly annoying...

Phoenix21

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Stato, 2003 VY SS, 2017 VF SV6
i had a problem like that on my vr but the lifter on my car had distroyed the camsharft so i had to change the camsharft, lifters and pushrods so try using a thicker oil first if that dosn't work try and work out what area the noise is coming from and work ur way back

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
From the description of the sound it could also be a bigend bearing on its way out - you can check this by removing the plug lead from the offending cylinder and if the noise goes away or lessens dramatically then it probably is a bigend bearing. Make sure you short the plug lead out with a bit of wire to earth so it doesn't cause problems with the DFI.