Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace VZ Commodore Factory Head Unit - IPOD Capable

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Way more, in fact....

KidKodi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon Exec
Hey Phreddy, i Just bought a VZ Wagon, which already has a handsfree nokia system installed, i have an iphone, am interested what you would reccomend for conversion, and can i lay tunes from my iphone and recieve calls etcs?

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Vlads Ipod interface is a brilliant idea.. I was one of the first/tester. It really depends if you want to maintain the factory look or go for after market then find a compatible interface for steering wheel controls

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Yep you cant beat Vlads Ipod Interface

Mmmm yes, I have Vlad's iPod integration installed into my Blaupunkt 6 stacker and I would never go back. The thing is that you can still attach any device with a headphone jack just by using this but the main advantage is that you can completely control your iPod through the head unit.

....although I have a total HATRED of all things Apple - and I think this "iPod integration" into every bloody thing is a marketing ploy.

I don't have an iPod! And I never will!! That's where my mod is much more "generic", it works with anything that has a headphone socket. Not necessarily MP3 players either - one of my customers went home and dug out his old cassette Walkman and his old tapes he hadn't heard in years! :D (sure, tapes suck on sound quality, but...)

Although Greg you may think this is a marketing ploy, I can't see any other devices that are even remotely close to the sheer capacity and size of these devices. I personally am not a big Apple fan either, but I haven't found any other MP3 player which can store 160Gb of music / video / photos and which can plug directly into a head unit and be controlled through it. But that's just my 2 cents.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
I personally have not bothered with compressed music for obvious reasons. Apple was very smart the way it marketed its portable media device in its early stages and now the apple computers are slowly growing in popularity. When the ipod or iphone reach 500gb to 1 tb in capacity then i will buy one copying cd's to it without compression. I have 5 computers at home and one is a Mac Book Pro, 2 Laptop computers and 2 PC's one built for gaming. The Mac's internet is faster through wireless than any of the others through direct ethernet. And Mac's dont get virus's and bugs and i can play 15 video files at once on the mac with no slowdown. The gaming PC which has twice the cpu and 4 times more ram can only handle 9 video files at once b4 it starts having a cry. Yep apple is smarter, easier, better and bug free.

johnny73

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
what features do you lose buy fitting a aftermarket head unit to a vz
eg. steering wheel control ,on dash information and speed volume control!!

Last edited:

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Well the 2 main features you lose is the factory look, and the display on the instrument cluster showing what track and cd is playing or what radio station is displayed. You can still use the steering wheel controls with most aftermarket headunits. If you have a luxury model i.e. berlina, calais, grange, caprice then you lose adjustable antenna height control, and with the grange, and caprice you lose the dual diversity antenna system in the windscreen as there are 2 antenna leads connected to the stock units. Adding aftermarket unit and simply connecting the antenna leads together to the single antenna plug on your aftermarket unit does not give the same reception performance.

cover.your.tracks

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ
hi,
How much is this add in unit for the ipod? is there anything better available on the market yet?