Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the VE "head unit"

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I have spent many hours here searching and forum trawling (this forum alone) and elsewhere (lots of hours) trying to find out the answer to this question.

I have a MY10 SV6 Sportwagon, I find the fact that the radio doesn't play MP3s totally ridiculous. Though it's probably my fault for not working this out before I bought it. I don't want an ipod/whatever rolling around the place, I just want to have a CD/USB stick with MP3 files I can play in my 2010 car and pretend it's 2010, just like on the stereo I bought for my last car some TEN years ago...

So, what I have been trying to find for weeks, is an aftermarket unit to replace the factory unit. The ultimate solution would be fully integrated with the steering controls, and have bluetooth that works in the car. I have contacted a few installers who say "all you can replace in the VE is the speakers". I know there must be someone just as pi$$ed off as me with a stereo ten years+ behind its time in a brand new car. I know the HVAC controls are ingeniously integrated with the stereo, making it's removal a custom situation, but as I said before the stereo can't just be a joke to me alone.

Somebody... Anybody??? I'm tearing my hair out here, this car's seriously starting to look like a trade-in to me... :surprise:

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
So, what I have been trying to find for weeks, is an aftermarket unit to replace the factory unit.

Weeks? A couple of minutes of a Google search will give you the answer. Simple answer is no, there's no simple aftermarket stereo swap for the VE. There's been a few people do pretty hefty mods and integrate an ipad and run stereo etc through it. This is a full centre display swap though.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
The calais and ssv model stereos play mp3's which i was rapt about as i was thinking the same thing so swapping the unit is an option, although i'm not sure what's compatible with the sv6's, someone else might know.

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S

racka

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SS-V
Somebody... Anybody??? I'm tearing my hair out here, this car's seriously starting to look like a trade-in to me... :surprise:

Easiest solution - go to a wrecker or eBay and get a Berlina, Calais or SS unit. You then need to have someone like No Limit Electronics (Melbourne based, dunno who does it in Sydney) recode the unit to work with your HVAC unit. At that point as far as I know it's a straight swap of the headunit - pull yours out, put the replacement unit in.

Just so you're aware (in case you don't know)...the Berlina unit has a mono screen, the Calais and SS-V units are colour screens.

It's not a cheap exercise, the headunit will set you back $600-700 secondhand, or $1600 from Holden brand new, and then it costs $400-500 for the recoding.

The other solution that people have done is have an aftermarket head unit (with remote) wired up in the glove box, which they then plug iPods into or use the MP3 cd player functions of that unit.

Personally, I'd go for the Holden head unit solution, even though it's more expensive, cos it's neater and the steering wheel controls still control everything then.

Good luck with it.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
You can add an aftermarket unit as well as control it through the steering wheels.
[/ATTACH]

Also a guy I know who used to work for blaupunkt is developing a single din fascia and a seperate screen for the climate control so you can replace the factory unit and manual HVAC controls. Should be ready hopefully in the next month or two.

Attachments

• 26112008460.jpg
    26112008460.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 17,575
  • 26112008459.jpg
    26112008459.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 7,869

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
You can add an aftermarket unit as well as control it through the steering wheels.
[/ATTACH]

Also a guy I know who used to work for blaupunkt is developing a single din fascia and a seperate screen for the climate control so you can replace the factory unit and manual HVAC controls. Should be ready hopefully in the next month or two.

Wow, sounds just the concept I'm after! Would be grateful for any update when it's tried & tested.

Thanks

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
Weeks? A couple of minutes of a Google search will give you the answer. Simple answer is no, there's no simple aftermarket stereo swap for the VE. There's been a few people do pretty hefty mods and integrate an ipad and run stereo etc through it. This is a full centre display swap though.

Yeah, well not weeks 9-5, just weeks like in my spare time, you know!

And, as I mentioned, it is looking like a custom job to deal with Holden's ingenious "HVAC & 90's stereo integration" concept.

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
my '08 SS Sportswagon plays MP3s no problems. I thought the SV6 was the same headunit?