Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VZ ECU - Options in today's Market

ForestVt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exp 3.6 05
I confess that in my case I do not specifically I focused on grounding points during the diagnosis.Nevertheless, they will certainly be relevant to diagnosis of the problem.

(I apologize to friends for might not be expressing myself correctly in English).

To detail best:
In my VZ the strange color, I noticed at the top relays I replaced. The connections of the base of these relays, presented in good condition. What I imagine (that I could not confirm with certainty) is that the contact internal switch relay, would have enough wear to "interfere" in the opening (or closing) of the controlled connection - possibly generating "sparks" that hinder the ECU processing timing.

Despite imagine the existence of electronic filters installed for this purpose (diode / RC filter), I believe that the excessive wear of these switches contacts, can cause this type of interference. In my VZ, these relays already operate for more than 10 years - (certainly exceeding the expected MTBF for this type of device).

The following diagram of the CAN network I used to identify the connectors that we reviewed.

a-CanNetw.jpg

The photos of the relays with strange color - suggesting overheating in internal contact - follow below ...

1-EngBay.jpg 2-UnderDash.jpg

I have photos of each connector / module I checked this procedure. If you find it useful, I can post them here.

Good luck.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Are there any aftermarket options like Haltech?

Last edited:

crowey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Hi All,
Sorry for not getting back to you all earlier but have been busy with work etc to get back to the car.
I spent sometime checking earth's and nothing seemed out of place or particularly dirty etc. removed and cleaned some etc also to be sure. Couldn't locate the Trans tunnel one so will have another go over the weekend.
My BCM relay is particularly discoloured so need to replace however I'm not sure what to replace it with as Repco seemed to think anything with that Pin configuration is ok - concern for me is that there are a few with the same configuration in the Calais with different numbers on them i.e this one has "IN0403" where as the starter is "IN0351" etc..May need to go to Holden for this.
I read the fault codes and despite it saying low fuel/ESP failure/Check drive train it came back with just one - U0100 - Loss off comm's to ECU (as expected).
The baffling thing is that the consensus is to replace your ECU with this DTC however given this is a replacement (albeit 2nd hand) which worked fine for a at least 10-15 starts straight it seems odd that it could be the ECU again unless there is something happening in the wiring harness etc. If I get desperate I could put back the original ECU etc to check whether it throws the same code.

When I jump start it by shorting the starter relay and let it run for a while it will then restart fine and throw no codes at all. Leave it to cool down and it starts all over again.
Other than reviewing/replacing key relays and further checking of Earths I'm a bit stuck. I suspect Holden will tell me replace the ECU but with the evidence at hand it seems a gamble.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi All,
Sorry for not getting back to you all earlier but have been busy with work etc to get back to the car.
I spent sometime checking earth's and nothing seemed out of place or particularly dirty etc. removed and cleaned some etc also to be sure. Couldn't locate the Trans tunnel one so will have another go over the weekend.
My BCM relay is particularly discoloured so need to replace however I'm not sure what to replace it with as Repco seemed to think anything with that Pin configuration is ok - concern for me is that there are a few with the same configuration in the Calais with different numbers on them i.e this one has "IN0403" where as the starter is "IN0351" etc..May need to go to Holden for this.
I read the fault codes and despite it saying low fuel/ESP failure/Check drive train it came back with just one - U0100 - Loss off comm's to ECU (as expected).
The baffling thing is that the consensus is to replace your ECU with this DTC however given this is a replacement (albeit 2nd hand) which worked fine for a at least 10-15 starts straight it seems odd that it could be the ECU again unless there is something happening in the wiring harness etc. If I get desperate I could put back the original ECU etc to check whether it throws the same code.

When I jump start it by shorting the starter relay and let it run for a while it will then restart fine and throw no codes at all. Leave it to cool down and it starts all over again.
Other than reviewing/replacing key relays and further checking of Earths I'm a bit stuck. I suspect Holden will tell me replace the ECU but with the evidence at hand it seems a gamble.

Essentially... ECU gets hot... and it allows starting up with no dramas again.. hmmm...

crowey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
True except the strange part is when I replaced the ecu the first time it started cold every time. The first time It played up again was when it was hot.

oilbyshug

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh/sle hz prem vr berlina vz Calais 190
finally got my ecu fixed today ....there is a bloke refurbishing them in melbourne for $250 on ebay with a 5 yr warranty just got mine back 5 mins to reinstall it and starting without the switch i had to put in for the first time in 12 months

Bloodfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
finally got my ecu fixed today ....there is a bloke refurbishing them in melbourne for $250 on ebay with a 5 yr warranty just got mine back 5 mins to reinstall it and starting without the switch i had to put in for the first time in 12 months

Do you have his contact details?

Cpt Soban

Reaction score
Members Ride
XZ Executive
Good work OP- And yeah to anyone else looking at this thread, there is a MASSIVE SHORTAGE of new EDU's at Holden right now. Either look for a rebuilt one on ebay- Or see if your dealership has reconditioned ones for sale.

Modesto Hagney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina Wagon

I would also like to get hold of his contact details.