Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Restarting after 14 Months in Storage

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
So my VE has been in storage for 14 months now. I had to leave the country at short notice and was only supposed to be away for a few weeks, 2 countries and 14 months later, I finally have a confirmed return date. Thanks work! Priority number one is to get my wheels back on the road!

As such, I didn't have much time to prepare it for storage. Cars been stored in a shed the entire time. I disconnected the battery, put the front on jackstands and plugged the exhaust and intake with rags, but that what just about all I had time to do.

My question is, what do I need to do before I restart it. My current plan is as follows:

- Recharge battery
- Pull rags from intake/exhaust
- All round check inc. fluid levels, belts, tyres etc. Top up as required
- Try to start it
- Fill tank with 98
- 3 hour drive back home
- Run a few tanks of 98 through over the next few weeks

If anyone has any suggestions as to what additional steps I should be taking, I'm keen to hear it! Never ha

Thanks

car_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I'd do an oil and filter change just so you know it's fresh. Coolant too if it's due.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
put as much fresh fuel in as you can and charged battery and start.

My cough and fart a bit should be fine. If your really worried pull plugs and crank over to get oil pressure but probally not required.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Try and drain as much of the old fuel out as possible. Maybe remove and flush fuel tank if possible.
It doesn't take long for the fuel to go stale and start to evaporate and whats left in the bottom of your fuel tank starts to look like dry bitumen sludge.
I Know this first hand from leaving a VL sit for almost 2 years with a full tank of fuel.

#The VL was obviously a steel fuel tank, I don't know whether the same thing will happen in a plastic fuel tank.
The missus VX (plastic fuel tank) sat for just over a year (full tank of fuel) while we both had use of work cars. When we started using it again it kept blowing the fuel pump fuse, the bloody fuel pump had actually rusted away inside the module assembly.

Last edited: