Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retailers Angry at Online Shopping.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
LOL Bring on GST.

I bought a few books from Book depository, all in all around $240 + free postage. One of the books alone, Borders wanted $118 and another for $76. Other stores couldnt match borders prices. These 2 books from the UK to my door, $36 and $23 respectively. How the hell will GST on these purchases stop me buying international lol?
If Hardly Normal offered better prices and better customer service with people who know what the #### they are talking about then there wouldn't be an issue. The fact they are still RAISING prices on so many goods while we have a strong AUD against the USD shows they do not give a #### about consumers and just want to rape their wallets.

#### you major retailers!!! haha.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Same with PWR, cheaper to buy from the states than it is to buy local even though they are a local company.. Issue was raised on the LS1 forum.

I believe that when Aussie companies sell overseas they don't have to pay GST (and probably a few other taxes). So its cheaper to sell overseas.

And why would PWR or Yella Terra give a crap if you buy overseas, they get thier profit either way.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
lol i have bought a computer game in store since i discovered steam lol... i got 7 games which would normally cost me at least $300 at Jb-HiFi for $70... why would i spend $230 more when most of the money goes overseas to however made it in the first place anyway... or maybe im paying for a 16 year old kid to tell me he wont give me a discount for stuff i want to buy lol

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Thats the thing, the GST is #### all.

Ill go back to my gaming example because its what I buy and know best, a game, purchased on Ebay in Australia costs ~60-80 depending on title brand new (from online stores). JB Hi Fi and other bigger stores like Harvey Norman sell them for 80-100. They have a larger variety of products and games are merely to get you in the door so they can cut prices on them. EB Games and Game are at 100-120 for new games. I understand why they are higher than other places (they only make their money on games), however thats 60 dollars above the USD RRP, EB Games is not reknown for its sparkling service, so why on earth would you pay double the price?

No that is a good point and I agree wholeheartedly. We have been getting shafted on CD's and DVD's for years as well. Before Napster, Limewire P2P etc a new release CD would cost over $30. The same thing in the U.S was $13. But they should be coughing up GST like a physical store.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
If Hardly Normal offered better prices and better customer service with people who know what the #### they are talking about then there wouldn't be an issue. The fact they are still RAISING prices on so many goods while we have a strong AUD against the USD shows they do not give a #### about consumers and just want to rape their wallets.

#### you major retailers!!! haha.

Well that sums it up pretty well and thats how i feel as well, if they were not greedy stupid pigs i probably would buy from them and that goes for any industry but i get better pricing and service elsewhere at the click of the button and deilvered to my door.

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
yep i buy most things on line you get the stuff at least 25% off due to cutting out the middle man.
poor jerry Harvey knows he is going to sink just like he made all the independent furniture shops sink years ago!!!
make it harder for the big retailers i say then we might just get that much better price we deserve.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Well that sums it up pretty well and thats how i feel as well, if they were not greedy stupid pigs i probably would buy from them and that goes for any industry but i get better pricing and service elsewhere at the click of the button and deilvered to my door.

Damn straight, I just bought a 1dmkIV fromt he USA, after import duties gst etc it was still $2400 cheaper than buying it ANYWHERE here. Its bloody pathetic.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I agree, You can't go anywhere in australia and get halfway decent service. So why should we pay top dollar for ****?

Seriously when was the last time you seen good quality furniture in any major retail outlet?
It's all cheap chip board laminate **** with a $1000+ price tag on it.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Over pricing also relates to tourism in this country. It is sad when you can go to a boutique 5 star resort in the pacific for less than you can here. We found this out when planning our second honeymoon for July. Gave up on staying in Australia it is all a rip off for what you get.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah, there isn't any where worth going to in Australia unless you're a multi millionare.
Even then as you say, if you can afford to in Australia you can well and truely afford to else where in the world.

Half the problem is, most of these places can't charge less, to do so would mean the workers take a pay cut. And frankly everday bottom rung employess work for a pitance anyway.
To earn minimum wage in this country is to barely keep your neck about the poverty line.