Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retro fit steering wheel audio controls?

XU6_Boy

2008 Voodoo Blue SS-V 6.0
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Commodore SS-V (Voodoo Blue)
Theres more to it than just the buttons as it is one input wire into the stereo that controls all button functions through the clock spring coil it applies different data voltages through the one wire.
If i can find your email address in your profile then ill email the wiring schematic to you.

Hi Logzy

Did you have a chance to post me the scematic as well?? Thank you :)

[email protected] :)

Last edited:

desruction

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I've got a 99VT Berlina and i did this mod. Put a Maestro 10 stacker in, got the updated clockspring and wired it up works a treat. I seriously doubt you need an high level BCM as all your doing is running 2 wires from the clockspring to the plug in the back of the Headunit doesn't even go into you BCM.

holdenrules

Reaction score
So I wonder if this is possible with a lower specced (non-Maestro) head unit?

And by the sounds of it, the BCM has nothing to do with it's operation ...

desruction

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
No Pete i wish it was just that simple, some of the earlier cars have none of the wiring already installed, there is space and naming for them but the actual fittings are missing.Mine has the space for everything but the wiring is missing. My clock spring only has one wire where I need two coming from it to run the stereo controls. Holden could make so much more money for themselves if they placed the top of the range harnesses in but just didnt fit all the accessories so you could spec the cars up later on.

Are you talking about the 2 plugs? (the one in the rear of the headunit and the one in the clockspring) having the spaces for wires but no wires or metal plugs there?

If you are do what i did go to DSE and get these PCB Pins mine came in a strip like the ones on the right PLEASE NOTE the ones i linked may not be the corrcet size.....

All i did then was crimp the wire on the end of it then slipped it into the plug and hey prest all done. I did the exact same thing with the headunit plug but i used an old plug i had laying around and pulled the wire out uncrimped it crimped my wire in and slipped it back in the plug. Put it all back together and you have working steering wheel controls.

desruction

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina

Only the Maestro series and certain single cd headunits support steering wheel audio controls. I can't remember off hand which they were it was about 2 years ago i did all this :)

desruction

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Yep was just looking through my gregory's manual and it has the audio diagram in there. The 2 wires run direct from the clockspring to the headunit doesn't go anywhere near your BCM.

holdenrules

Reaction score
desruction said:
Only the Maestro series and certain single cd headunits support steering wheel audio controls. I can't remember off hand which they were it was about 2 years ago i did all this :)

Thanks for that, I do have the single CD head unit (it's a S1 Berlina) so I'm hoping that it will work ... :unsure:

I already have the controls and 3 wire clock spring, but I don't want to pull everything apart only to discover the hard way it won't work ... :bang:

gsx913

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina

From my knowledge, the Maestro series have the audio controls wired to it on the additional plug (6 or 12 pin) in the backs of those units. The BCM plays no part with the signals from the controls.

Non Meastro units that have audio controls attached go through via the BCM.

I removed the normal stereo from my VX Berlina and installed one from a statesman and clipped the wires from behind the clock spring and rewired to the back of the unit and hey presto, she works!

holdenrules

Reaction score
OK, so from what I have researched, you need to connect the two wires from the steering wheel controls to pins 16 and 9 on head unit. The black with white tracer wire is present on the harness for pin 16, but there is nothing in the harness for pin 9, so I'll have to get one of those pins to use in the plug.
Non Meastro units that have audio controls attached go through via the BCM.
I don't think that's correct, from everything I have seen, none of the steering wheel controls use the BCM at all.
Yes, mine is the single CD type (S1 VT Berlina) and the HU part number is 92050102 (it's on the sticker). Is your HU the same part number or does anyone know what the non-Maestro HU part number is that works with this setup?

doobs

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VY LS1 Berlina Wagon
Ey all,

Just thought I might add, If you bwant to use PAC SWI-Jack in a VX Commodore heres what I worked out to get mine going...

You only need to use 3 wires on the SWI-Jack harness:
  1. Red = Connect to ACC
  2. Black = Connect to Ground
  3. White, Connect to the solid Brown wire on the cars connector

To ensure you have the right brown wire, with the car off, put one end of a multi meter into the brown wire and the other to ground, and push each button, you should measure:
  • Mode = 21.78K Ohms
  • Next UP = 11.78K Ohms
  • Next Down = 7.03K Ohms
  • Mute = 3.7K Ohms
  • Vol UP = 1.4K Ohms
  • Vol Down = 1.9 Ohms
  • NOTHING PUSHED = Infinite Ohms

You do not need to solder any resistors on to the buttons, you just have to set the SWI module to MODE 9.

The rest is fairly streight forward, and will depend on the head unit you have.

For an Alpine unit, Choose number 1 on the dial switch on the SWI Unit, and follow the sequence in the manual to program it.

A Tip for alpine units,
IF you try and program both the PRESET UP or DOWN AND the TRACK UP or DOWN to the same button, when you are playing an MP3 disk you will skip folder, not track, this is because PRESET UP and DOWN are first in the programming order and over wirte TRACK UP and DOWN, to skip tracks, you must only program one button to be TRACK UP and DOWN.

I have the following program:
  • Mode = PRESET UP
  • Next UP = TRACK UP
  • Next Down = TRACK DOWN
  • Mute = Mute
  • Vol UP = Vol up
  • Vol Down = Vol down

That way I can skip folders and tracks in MP3 mode, and still change stations in radio mode.

I hope that can help someone.